starting strength gym

Thread: squat corrections

Default squat corrections

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    Hello,

Started filming me a few weeks back and realized that I had been squatting high, about one inch, I deloaded and started to hit parallel. Depth is not always perfect but I'm getting there.

My knees cave in a little bit and my knees are moving forward at the end of the set when I get tired.

Should I deload even further to correct my form or should I just continue?

I wouldn't advance weight on a squat that is high, since you aren't strengthening all the muscles. I'm not a competitive powerlifter who needs to use minimum legal depth to win, so I aim for "always clearly below parallel" rather than "mostly probably below parallel" -- I'm prone to wishful thinking, this helps keep me honest.

Also if you have a form problem that is injuring you, don't advance weight until you fix that. For a while the knees-moving-forwards problem was giving me hip tendinitis and I had to stay at a low weight for a while to stamp out that habit.

But if you have minor form problems other than depth that don't cause injury, you can work on form while still increasing weight. Lots of people get strong with ugly squats, if they happen to be immune to the injury that kind of ugliness can cause.

But I'm not a coach, and I haven't seen your squat. If you want a trustworthy answer, do a form check on the coach's Q&A.
    Last edited by Charlie Davies; 03-26-2014 at 08:44 AM. Reason: spelling