starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift form check. Too much lumbar rounding?

Default Deadlift form check. Too much lumbar rounding?

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    Here is me pulling 275x5 with a belt.

How does my lower back look? It's clearly rounding but it doesn't cause any pain during or after the set.

Is it enough to be concerned? Or will I be okay increasing the weight if it doesn't get worse?

My belt shifted up between sets so that threw me off a little bit. I'll have to set the belt higher or tighten it next time.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e_Rg-Bn8NaI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, your back is rounding.

But first thing first: you are not following the Mark Rippetoe Deadlift Setup(TM).

Suggest you watch this video: Mark Rippetoe: Deadlift Set-Up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syt7A23YnpA

Things I noticed: (1) you bend your knees first, then grab the bar - should be in reverse; (2) you roll the bar away with your shins; (3) your hips are too low. Watch your video and you will see that your hips rise first, and then you pull. If you set up correctly, this will not happen.

Try this and see if this helps!

It's not much rounding and it's occurring gradually as you fatigue. Just to add t kessg's remarks, I'd advise doing a better job of squeezing the slack out of the bar before liftoff. If you hear the plates click as you pull it, you failed to take the slack out.

Here is my attempt at 295. I feel like the weight is coming up fairly fast but my lower back is rounding way too much IMO.

I implemented the SS set up and feel like I get in a good position to start but the weight on the bar just pulls me out of proper position.

I'm also doing a poor job of pulling the slack out of the bar. This is something I need to concentrate on.

No pain at all in my lower back. What should I do? Try 295 a couple more times to see if I can fix it? Or should I deload to around 260 to try and perfect my form?

http://youtu.be/XbyKT-j7-to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drop down in weight, since the point of deadlifting is to strengthen your posterior chain. Go to a weight where your lumbar spine can hold tight, and work up from there.

Don't jerk the bar off the ground. Squeeze it off the ground. The jerk when you start is where you lower back gets loose.

Also, or perhaps first, check to make sure you have conscious control of your spinal erectors.