starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Prelipin's table and INOL help please

Default Prelipin's table and INOL help please

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    So I'm thinking of using this table for designing my own intermediate program and I have a few questions. http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/files/prelipins.pdf

Anyone know how to go about making a program using this chart and equation?

Kyle Schuant Guest

Yes.

My question is: why are you designing your own intermediate programme?

A table with relative intensities and howto apply such information is covered in PPST3. Honestly, this stuff becomes self evident with experience. I recommend picking up a copy of the newest Practical Programming for detailed information on how to craft programs as well as many useful and detailed examples.

This table needs to go away. It's based on generalized observed trends in bar speeds at various intensities & rep/set schemes. There are much better approaches in 2014...

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    This table needs to go away. It's based on generalized observed trends in bar speeds at various intensities & rep/set schemes. There are much better approaches in 2014...
    Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    Such as ?

rpe, for one. DUP variants

RPE, like Jordan mentioned. It really fucking works. This seems like the easiest & cheapest option.

Some other options:

A coach (really low tech & reasonably priced): At bar speeds less than ~.7 meters/second my eye is accurate to within .05 meters/second (I have an unhealthy obsession with Tendo units). This is accurate enough to get pretty close to optimal with regards to load and volume selections for most clients. I'm not that great a coach, & I took a client from detrained to national junior record holder in 3 months. My eye is useless for the fast lifts, as everything over .7meters/second just looks " very fast".

A bar-speed-measuring device: Tendo & Gymaware are stupidly expensive, but there will be a quite a few cheaper options available soon. I'm waiting to receive something called "push strength." I doubt that it will be objectively accurate (in terms of measuring mean velocity of a bar over the range of motion of a lift)...but it doesn't need to be. It just needs to be internally consistent.

If this notion of using real-time bar speed to optimize load and volume doesn't immediately hit you as superior to the aforementioned chart, meditate on this shit for a good long time.

Quote Originally Posted by roundedback View Post
    So I'm thinking of using this table for designing my own intermediate program and I have a few questions. http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/files/prelipins.pdf

Anyone know how to go about making a program using this chart and equation?
    YouTube it. There are examples on there of how to use it. Try it out and see if it works. It may not be as optimal as hiring a coach or buying another book, but you'll probably learn a bit in the process and it's free. Try to DIY, you can always try something else if you don't like it.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Schuant View Post
    Yes.

My question is: why are you designing your own intermediate programme?
    Good question. Planning ahead would be my answer. Learning a thing or two would be my other answer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast