starting strength gym

Thread: SLAP tear shoulder pain with OHP

Default SLAP tear shoulder pain with OHP

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi, I'm new to SS... been doing it for about 3 weeks. I'm 52, 5'7, 140 lbs, and have been a T1 diabetic for 35+ years. I've lifted on and off for 35 years, but I'm starting the program as though I have no experience (with very light starting weights) because I'm not strong at this point in my life. Other than OHP, all the exercises seem to generate what seems to be the right pain (muscle pain), but the OHP creates serious joint pain which lasts for days (even using an empty bar).
    I've had frozen shoulder on both sides in the last 18 years which both took months for PT to correct. (I may have had it twice on one side, but can't remember).
    in 2016 I had an MRI on my shoulder which revealed a Type iib SLAP tear (tear through the base of the posterior superior labrum). I don't know exactly what caused it, but I remember adding dips to my workout shortly before it occurred. I also remember working through the pain thinking it was no big deal. I didn't do anything to correct the tear but avoided motions that aggravated it.
    I imagine this is what has been causing my shoulder pain and wondering if there is something I could substitute for the OHP. I searched the forum but didn't find any clear answers.

Does the bench press aggravate the pain?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Does the bench press aggravate the pain?
    Bench Press doesn't bother me enough that I think it's an issue. (It might be a slight aggravation, but not bad.)
    Oddly, push-ups with my hands flat on the floor also hurt my shoulders. I don't do them anymore, but I used to do them if I was on vacation and couldn't lift. (I'm only doing the 3x5 strictly now.) I'm not sure why, but push-ups on my knuckles didn't hurt much when I did them.

You need to gain about 40 pounds of bodyweight and see if the additional mass helps stabilize your shoulder. Lay off the presses until you gain 30 pounds, and never do dips again. You'd rather not have shoulder surgery if you can help it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You need to gain about 40 pounds of bodyweight and see if the additional mass helps stabilize your shoulder. Lay off the presses until you gain 30 pounds, and never do dips again. You'd rather not have shoulder surgery if you can help it.
    Thanks for the feedback.

Is there another exercise I should substitute for OHP?

starting strength coach development program
    No. Just gain some weight.