starting strength gym

Thread: Sorry for...

Default Sorry for...

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    ... getting philisophical on you.

But I've realized I did this amazing progress between 49-52.
    But sadly my LP was almost over in four months. Been struggling humbly since then...
    I believe 80 percent of my newly found strength came during those four months.
    I know it's useless thinking, but what if I found this (Hail to Rip, he's our leader!) in my twenties? Or in my thirties?
    How long an LP could I've had?
    And why is this REALLY simple method so hard to convince those, who would benefit the most, to try it.
    Oh, sure, I've inspired my sons to start lifting, can't have your elderly dad outlift you. They work hard alright, but they fart around.
    They made progress but nowhere near mine. And they are 25-35 years old!
    Same with every young guy in the gym I carefully start suggesting squats to, when they marvel att my squat (!) numbers. My gym has few impressive members.

Well I guess I might have been the same back then.
    So, useless thinking, right?

Next time I get a bit bitter I'll tell you about my wife. She's been naturally really strong all her life but now she's lost quite a bit just due to getting older.
    She has aches and shit from this and you know what? I'm pretty sure I have cure for all this!
    Boring, she says...

Anyone who's started late like you and I have the same sort of "what if" regrets about not starting sooner. You'll see a lot of folk on the forum have the exact same issue of being unable to convince younger lifters, older lifters, women, men, collegiate-level athletes, and everyone in between that SS works better than the bodypart-a-day split they're on.

The 'problem' with the SS model is that it's efficient. There's no bullshit if YDTP - and even when YNDTP it's still very efficient and will get you stronger faster than you thought possible. People have been told for so long by purported fitness and health experts that this is supposed to be a complex process involving a lot of expensive machines doing isolations and core work, taking many hours of time. Add to this medical professionals saying idiotic things like "Squats are bad for the knees, deadlifts are bad for the back," and so on, and you get what we have now.

There's a lot of bullshit out there, and far too many people believe it.

Exactly.

I, too, wish I had known this when I first picked up a barbell 50 years ago when I was 15.

I, too, wish I could get others to be as enthusiastic as I am about this.

All you can do is lead by example and if you influence ONE other human, well, I'd consider that a success.

I'd rather be forward thinking about lifting. How weak would I be right now or next week if I WASN'T lifting. For me it's easy calculus.... I stopped lifting three years ago right after making lifetime PR's in all my lifts when I got a dog that needed lots of walking and had the doctor point out I had a small umbilical hernia. Fast forward 3 years after no lifting and several FASTS.... my strength and stamina has gone to shit.

So, after making that commitment to get back under the bar and ride the Starting Strength progression, I know I'll be stronger next week than I was last month.

Let's face it, we all know people that worked out seriously 30 years ago and are a bucket of blob now. Love that guy that finds out your deadlifting and squatting then tells you his numbers. Then to find out, those were his maxes 30 years ago and he only does 12 ounce curls now. (Dude.... ahem... those really aren't your numbers anymore... LOL).

So it doesn't really matter if we had known about this method or not, we likely would have been a statistic. I figure I'm going to be sore sitting and watching a ball game anyway, might as well be because of my last workout. For me, the battle is with the couch, so I pray for consistency and good habits to continue eeking out progress and stave off decrepitude.

Quote Originally Posted by wb416 View Post
    ... and had the doctor point out I had a small umbilical hernia.
    Did you have to get that fixed or does it just not bother you?

Quote Originally Posted by Culican View Post
    Did you have to get that fixed or does it just not bother you?
    Not fixed yet. I don't really notice it most of the time. I'm wearing a weight belt now and don't notice it while lifting either, but I haven't gotten very heavy yet.

Quote Originally Posted by wb416 View Post
    Not fixed yet. I don't really notice it most of the time. I'm wearing a weight belt now and don't notice it while lifting either, but I haven't gotten very heavy yet.
    The reason I asked is that I think I may have a small one also. Didn't notice it until I lost some weight. Never asked the doc about it and it doesn't bother me when I lift; use the belt for worksets on the squat, deadlift, and press.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Culican View Post
    The reason I asked is that I think I may have a small one also. Didn't notice it until I lost some weight. Never asked the doc about it and it doesn't bother me when I lift; use the belt for worksets on the squat, deadlift, and press.
    Keep me posted how it goes and I'll do the same.