starting strength gym

Thread: Pussies Anonymous

Default Pussies Anonymous

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    My name is Bret - and I am a p...pu....pus....PUSSY.

It ain't easy to fess up to being a pussy - but I am totally frustrated with my training - my lifts are down to "little girl" strength level. Yesterday I got buried under a 375# squat, managed to barely put up a 122.5# Military Press (failed with 130#) and failed with a 325# (!) deadlift.

All this at 6'2", 210# - 53 years old. Tall, ecto type - 7.25" wrists - probably better suited to bodybuilding but I love the strength lifts. I know 210# is very light for my height but I have a 41" waist (yyuk) - front torso and love handles holds the fat (I am guessing at about 20%BF), everywhere else is lean and I can't just eat my way big as I used to when I was younger - even still the max bw I ever achieved was 238# and that was pushing it - probably 25% BF - not a pretty picture overall.

I have been lifting since my early 20's, I enforce good form in all my lifts and lift safely - I have never suffered any serious injuries from lifting. I have tried many different cycling techniques and strength routines thru the years and in my 30's attracted some attention due to my size and muscularity. Lost a lot of that in my 40's when work/family became top priority and had to work thru some health issues and since then have never really regained my former condition/strength.

I recently had a physical exam and all is well - I mean everything was fine - testosterone level was in the range (albeit just under 400) but I will not use any drugs at all, even HRT as I don't trust it, but rather use natural supplements. In fact my doctor remarked that it was a pleasant surprise to examine someone who is so healthy. I study nutrition and try to do all the right things. I have a good gym with free weights and a few machines, the means to buy good foods, and the time to train.

I am not a whiner...(okay, so I am whining just a little bit here) but right now my biggest problem seems to be "Analysis Paralysis". I am SO F*CK*NG FRUSTRATED that I can't focus on a plan/solution - with that comes lack of patience and lack of patience leads to poor decision making and program planning. On top of that I am WORRYING AND THINKING too much about it because I have no direction or confidence in my programs and that makes me go catabolic .

Coach Rippetoe - how to UN-PUSSIFY? I have Practical Programming and Strong Enough - maybe I should start over with Starting Strength? The past few years it seems like I am always "starting over" - "wipe the slate clean and try again..", "re-cycle", etc, etc - always the same excuse for not making progress.

Perhaps Texas Method would serve me well at this juncture?

Maybe at 53 I have unrealistic expectations? But then again I am not about to give in to the perception of "being old" - never! There are guys in their 60's and even 70's still lifting pretty good weight, not to mention your video where you are doing #315 squats for reps and I believe you are my age - that is really inspirational and something I'd like to emulate.

As always thank you in advance and thank you for making yourself available thru this forum - what a valuable resource!

Your strength is not bad at all, despite the fact that your deadlift is weaker than your squat. This usually indicates that your squat is high. You're not injured, and there is no impediment to training, so it might be time for you to spend some money on our CF Basic Barbell Cert and get some problems ironed out so you can get back to work productively. You'll be surprised at what another pair of eyes can see.

At 53, undertaking structured weight training hardly makes you a pussy compared to the general population. Having high expectations of yourself is rarely a bad thing though.

In terms of your lack of patience, whilst your time on this Earth may be drawing to a close but that doesn't give you a reason to compromise your training. Patience after all, is a virtue.

Agree with Rip's recommendation: also, what type of frequency are you training with?

Not saying that this is the answer but I have had better progress with some of my "older" lifters (50's - sorry Rip) by reducing the frequency of their major lifts.