starting strength gym

Thread: Injury that hasn't healed in almost 2 years.

Default Injury that hasn't healed in almost 2 years.

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    First off, I read the above sticky and I definitely will try it. But I'm having trouble classifying it as rehab pain or not. Here's just a brief summary of how I got my injury and what I'm trying to do now to get it healed.

I got the injury from doing acrobatics into a sandpit and my back and hips weren't strong enough to take the extra foot or two of height. The next day my lower back was really sore and has been sore ever since. Before this summer, I went to a physio and they said it was because one of my hips slipped a little higher than the other, causing the lower back pain(usually mostly on one side or the middle). He gave me light exercises to do and I did them for as long as he said and they seemed to help. But when I was done the physio, my back started to hurt again.

So I went to a chiropractor a month later and my back started to heal more but still very slowly. After about 15 sessions he said that I didn't really need anymore chiropratic stuff and that I can start to strengthen my back. I decided to use one of the routines from your book that my friend has. When I do the workouts, my back doesn't get much sorer during the workout(sometimes it will) and even sometimes feels better towards the end. But most of the time it will hurt a lot about 30 minutes or more after the workout and then it will be sore for the rest of the day and following day. Would this be classified as rehab injury? I would really like to do plyometrics as soon as I get my lifts 1.5 my bodyweight but my injury has been keeping me from what I really want to do for almost two years now.

Sorry for the long post but I just needed to know if this is rehab pain and if it isn't, what to do for non-rehab pain.

Thank you for your time

I think that plyometrics is a really stupid idea with this type of pain, something that I'd get an MRI done for. I'm surprised that neither of the therapists has recommended a better diagnosis. I'd want one, if I were you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I think that plyometrics is a really stupid idea with this type of pain, something that I'd get an MRI done for. I'm surprised that neither of the therapists has recommended a better diagnosis. I'd want one, if I were you.
    I kind of thought plyometrics wouldn't be that smart but I just wanted to make sure. I really would like to get a better therapist but my parents are tired of taking me to the physio or chiropractor and my dad thinks that I should be healed and done by now but my mom is saying that these injuries take a lot of time to heal.

Oh and about the MRI, before I went to the first physio, I think I had one or something very similar. Nothing showed up on the images so they determined that it was a muscle and hip problem(both of which the physio and chiropractor determined also).

I'll try really hard to convince my parents for yet another and better therapist but how do I know which ones would give me the best diagnosis?

The only types of pain that persist this long are ligament/joint inflammation and disc problems. That's why a diagnosis might be important.

The only types of pain that persist this long are ligament/joint inflammation and disc problems. That's why a diagnosis might be important.
    That actually makes a lot of sense because my chiropractor was talking about scar tissue and inflammation and why I should ice it as much as I can. Is there any type of surgery or "back breaking" that is usually a fix for this because I don't think I can afford that right now lol.

The type of therapist you go to for a diagnosis might have a bearing on the type of diagnosis you receive. This is just the rotten truth. So it's always best to start off with the guys who will usually give you the least invasive treatment for a given diagnosis and then get more invasive from there, i.e. chiropractor, physiatrist, orthopedic surgeon, neurosurgeon.

starting strength coach development program
    The type of therapist you go to for a diagnosis might have a bearing on the type of diagnosis you receive. This is just the rotten truth. So it's always best to start off with the guys who will usually give you the least invasive treatment for a given diagnosis and then get more invasive from there, i.e. chiropractor, physiatrist, orthopedic surgeon, neurosurgeon.
    I guess I'll have to look through my yellowpages and start asking different people that do similar activities that have gotten back inuries and see if they can recommend a good therapist. Thanks for your help and if I get a breakthrough, more insight or something I'll post it.