starting strength gym

Thread: Question on dips

Default Question on dips

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Mark:
    I do bench presses because they are part of the SS program and I didn't want to mess with it. However, I'm not a big fan of them. I read in SS the section about dips and decided to give them a try after I was done with my regular training. I loved the exercise, very challenging.
    If I chose to do dips instead of the bench press at the intermediate level what would be the drawbacks (assuming I keep everything else; squats, deadlifts, press...etc) What rep range would you suggest? In PP you refer to the intermediate level as the time to experiment and that's why I would leave this change until then (coming soon anyway).

No drawbacks at all. Get a dip belt or use your regular belt, and load it like you would a barbell exercise. I used them a lot for many years, got 200 for a triple.

Along with weight, try attaching a light jump stretch band to the bottom of your dip stand and then draping it across the back of your neck. Doing the dips against band tension is quite a unique feeling and will fuck your triceps up like no other exercise I have ever done. 200 for a triple. Not bad.