starting strength gym

Thread: C2 rowing every 2nd day 30min too much ?>

Default C2 rowing every 2nd day 30min too much ?>

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi Coach,
    I have a c2 rower and have been rowing 30min every 2nd day between my StartingStrength beginner level workouts.
    For the last 2 weeks, this has been killing my legs. They are sore pretty much all the time now.
    Is the rowing too much, should I drop it, or cut back ?
    I like the rower for keeping trim, and the cardio aspect. I do intervals up to 35-40spm, is this just too much for the SS program - or am I just a weakling, LOL.
    Thank you.

You are not doing the program. The program calls for no rowing, no "cardio" no concern for "trim".

keeping trim will not help your squat, and if your legs are sore all the time and you know it is from rowing, then why do you have to ask if the rowing is too much??

In order for SS to work, you must gain weight. It will be harder to gain weight when you are doing intervals on the C2 for 90 minutes per week.

Trim down later, get strong now.

I never realized it was possible to row so slowly on a C2 that one could do it for half an hour...if you're going to row, row hard.

Thank you Rip and KSC for the reply, appreciate it.

Ive been on SS for about 6 months with great results. I currently weigh between 205-210lbs at 6ft tall. Rower has only been for last ~3 weeks since I bought it.

May I please ask 2 more related questions:

1. Can I row when I switch to the intermediate stage ? Or does SS preclude any other exercises at all levels? (I like to row for fun too.)

2. And how heavy should/will I get on this program at the novice and int level? Rip said 213.54656, I dont know if that was sarcasm or not, or to just round it to 215. Or would I see 220-230+ if I continue without the rowing...?

Thank you very much, I appreciate the instruction and I check this forum everyday for tips and insight.

PS - To KSV, I thought the extra rowing would help my conditioning, and with time/perseverance the soreness would go away...? I dont know, Im not an expert

starting strength coach development program
    Maybe cut down to 8-12 minutes and do intervals instead. Or sprint. Or do the short(6-10 minutes), intense (all out) CF like metcon Mark has mentioned numerous times. Or, I mean just an idea, do the program and drink the milk.