starting strength gym

Thread: Do deadlifts damage your spine?

Default Do deadlifts damage your spine?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I was talking to sommeone who knew quite a bit about working out today (soon to enter competitions, great body, wealth of knowledge)

I told him about the StrongLift 5 x 5 program routine

He said that he does not do deadlifts as they put hundred of pounds of pressure on your spine (even when done correctly and in good form). And I'm not referring to getting injured after working out. He was saying more in the long run it would be bad for your back.

Can anyone comment? I know Rips wouldn't tell us to do something that would hurt us in the long run but I was just wondering if there was any truth to this.
    I would love to hear some feedback!

Deadlifts only put hundreds of pounds of pressure on your back if you're strong enough to lift hundreds of pounds. Your bodybuilder friend is apparently not, so he doesn't really know. I'd ask someone who's actually done them, if I were you.

Yet he apparently doesn't have a problem with squats which directly load the spinal column? Also, have we forgotten now that deadlifts strengthen the back by teaching it to stay rigid against a heavy load?

Sure, there's some argument that heavy squatting and such can compress the spinal cord over a long period of time, but there are ways to fix this, and to roughly quote Eric Cressey: "I'd rather be able to carry my own groceries at 75yrs old than have a perfect MRI anyday".

It's nice to see that your friend has avoided having more weight on his spine by keeping his head up his ass.

did this discussion take place on a pair of ellipticals?