starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PC & DL form check

Default PC & DL form check

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    PC:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S91KF...e_gdata_player
    Ignore the last rep I didn't think much it was just to rack the bar cuz I forgot to do it in the third rep.

DL:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SOjR...e_gdata_player

someone?

Power clean - you need to work on smoothing the transition between the bottom half and top half of the lift. To help with this, in the first half pull the bar up slower, then as it starts going up past your knees, pick up the speed, and finish with a snap to get the bar to your shoulders. To help your rack, dip your body down a little to receive the bar.

Deadlift - I wouldn't make any big changes. Notice how you tighten your back before breaking the bar off the ground. Remember to do that for every rep, especially at the end of the set when you're getting tired.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeC1 View Post
    Power clean - you need to work on smoothing the transition between the bottom half and top half of the lift. To help with this, in the first half pull the bar up slower, then as it starts going up past your knees, pick up the speed, and finish with a snap to get the bar to your shoulders. To help your rack, dip your body down a little to receive the bar.

Deadlift - I wouldn't make any big changes. Notice how you tighten your back before breaking the bar off the ground. Remember to do that for every rep, especially at the end of the set when you're getting tired.
    thank you your advice will help me

Also, you might want to lighten the load on your Power Clean until you perfect the form. Your form on Power Clean is lacking that "smooth transition" as noted by MikeC1 above. I'm thinking lightening the load a bit will help you get practice the form better.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeC1 View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWk4zYNpJG8&feature=plcp

how is it now?
    i have tried to do the 1st part more slowly but when the bar got to my knee i tried to do it as fast as i can...
    oh and about the hang grip, im having problems with that, it feels much better and more comfortable with regular grip
    and if i try to do it faster than this, my technique is ruining (the bar is not always touching the leg, and when i jump its not always touching the mid thigh).
    Last edited by yosi231; 08-29-2012 at 09:16 AM.

You won't need the hook grip when the weight is light, you will need it when it's heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by yosi231 View Post
    and if i try to do it faster than this, my technique is ruining (the bar is not always touching the leg, and when i jump its not always touching the mid thigh).
    I believe this is because you're opening you're hips off the floor which will make your torso more vertical. In some reps it looks like you actually move the bar around your knees which shouldn't really happen in the SS style. Don't forget to drive your feet into the floor (that's the cue I use). It could be the camera angle but to me it looks like you're breaking the bar off the floor with bent arms, remember to internally rotate your elbows (turn them so they're pointing towards the plates on the bar).

I don't like the snap cue and I don't think it was used at the seminar. When the bar gets just above your knees, jump. Straight up as high as you can. Like try to hit the ceiling with the top of your head. That's it. Then slam your shoulders into the bar. Right now you look very peaceful lifting (to borrow a saying from Steve in ATL). It might help to hold the bar in the hang position (ie around mid thigh) and jump straight up while keeping your arms straight.

If you're struggling with the form breaking down above the knee you may need to revisit the learning progression which is in the book. I can send you the progressions we used at the seminar if you wish (I don't know if I can post pics or the like because I can't remember the contents of the waiver I signed). It really doesn't take long to go through properly and do not get discouraged. The SS way to power clean is pretty simple and these aren't that far away from being technically sound. I saw far worse power cleans last night for about 2 hours and they had coaching.
    Last edited by Mr_Rogers; 08-29-2012 at 10:14 AM.

I agree with Mr. Rogers, "these aren't that far away from being technically sound."

One thing I could add is that your elbows are pretty downward when they shove out(an example is at 0:11 sec). You might want to consciously shove them out to a more horizontal position in one movement. If I remember correctly from the DVD, Rip's cue for the elbows is to imagine you were hitting/slapping him (i.e., the guy in front of you) with those elbows.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Rogers View Post
    You won't need the hook grip when the weight is light, you will need it when it's heavy.

I believe this is because you're opening you're hips off the floor which will make your torso more vertical. In some reps it looks like you actually move the bar around your knees which shouldn't really happen in the SS style. Don't forget to drive your feet into the floor (that's the cue I use). It could be the camera angle but to me it looks like you're breaking the bar off the floor with bent arms, remember to internally rotate your elbows (turn them so they're pointing towards the plates on the bar).

I don't like the snap cue and I don't think it was used at the seminar. When the bar gets just above your knees, jump. Straight up as high as you can. Like try to hit the ceiling with the top of your head. That's it. Then slam your shoulders into the bar. Right now you look very peaceful lifting (to borrow a saying from Steve in ATL). It might help to hold the bar in the hang position (ie around mid thigh) and jump straight up while keeping your arms straight.

If you're struggling with the form breaking down above the knee you may need to revisit the learning progression which is in the book. I can send you the progressions we used at the seminar if you wish (I don't know if I can post pics or the like because I can't remember the contents of the waiver I signed). It really doesn't take long to go through properly and do not get discouraged. The SS way to power clean is pretty simple and these aren't that far away from being technically sound. I saw far worse power cleans last night for about 2 hours and they had coaching.
    Ok ty both of you, so if i understood it right, start with my back less vertical, point my elbows less to my body and more to the plates, when the bar reaches my knees just jump really really hard and rotate my hands faster to rack the bar like im trying to hit something in front of me yea?
    and what do you mean by sending me the progressions you used at the seminar? you mean a video? i would really appreciate if you can send it to me.

starting strength coach development program
    For progressions I more meant the teaching progression in text form (I don't have the time to do a video, nor am I qualified), I took a picture of the white board at the seminar. It ties in nicely to what is described in the Power Clean chapter in the book. It wouldn't make any sense unless you re-read learning the lift section of the power clean chapter. Hopefully I'm not doing something I said I wouldn't do haha

IMG_20120729_112135.jpg

Your setup is fine so don't change your back angle there. It looks like your breaking off the floor by opening your hips and by not driving with your legs. Lift your chest up in your set-up and when it's as high as it will go without pulling the bar off the floor, drive your feet into the floor. You want your shins to be vertical so the bar can go straight up instead of moving the bar around your knees.

You'll have to play around with the jump cue. The bar should hit around mid thigh so you'll probably need to think "jump" before then. If you jump too soon the bar will nail your knees.
    Last edited by Mr_Rogers; 08-29-2012 at 11:36 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast