starting strength gym

Thread: Does my deadlift look decent?

Default Does my deadlift look decent?

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Keep in mind this is the first time I have deadlifted in weight lifting shoes. Up until this session I have always wore socks only so it took me a little longer to get set than normal. The first set is 210 second is 240 Let me know if you see anything glaringly wrong. Thanks.

http://youtu.be/kSZyxh4egx4#t=18s

http://youtu.be/UfgL4o9ucns#t=15s

Your back may be a little rounder at the start than I would like, but it is tough to tell for sure from this angle. Just remember to squeeze your chest up at the beginning. It will very likely be uncomfortable. Sometimes the belt can get in the way a little and you have to try even harder. Overall, there isn't much to complain about there. Add more weight.

Thanks.It is uncomfortable when I squeeze my chest up and keep my ass up. sometimes it feels like my hamstrings are going to snap. It was getting less uncomfortable the more I did it but yesterday seemed a little worse. My uneducated guess would be because of the shoes.

Is it an age thing? (no insult intended to op) I have been trying for ages to get my back straighter. Even when I feel I am over exaggerating the position my back is still slightly rounded. Wearing a belt seems to make it worse - I actually dumped the belt mid-set last dead lift day.

no insult taken. I just turned 40 and my am in better shape and lower in weight than I was in my early 20s. I wish I had found my passion for weight lifting in my 20s instead of my late 30s. I will say my back has improved drastically in the last 3 months and I think that is because on off days I do ab wheel roll outs and good mornings along with stretching and foam rolling. you should have seen my deadlift videos from 6 months or so ago, it was horrendous. so much so that I knew there was no need to post a video anywhere until I worked on my form.

Yeah, I'm 41, certainly in a lot better shape then my younger days too but a few joints need loosened up! I actually have an ab-wheel but never got around to using it on a regular basis. Think I'll give it a go...

starting strength coach development program
    What I'd do if I were you: get rid of weight lifting shoes, get rid of the belt, drop weight 20%, and get the technique right.

As for techinique, you really need to set your back, both in lumbar and thoracic region. The rounding of the spine (if any) should be in opposite direction. As for the first 2 issues, wl shoes do more harm than good for DL, and the belt interfers with feeling of the setup.