starting strength gym

Thread: Lower back assitance work

Default Lower back assitance work

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Mark,

I'm reaching later stages of novice linear development and I believe my lower back is a weakspot that needs some additional work. When I miss a squat it's because I lean forward and end up completing with a pseudo good-morning/squat.

You've added in back extensions as a natural progression in your latest programming edition book. Can you clarify rep range for this assistance work -- are we going heavy/loading with 5 reps or is it most effective as an assistance exercise with 8-15 reps?

My gym doesn't actually have a bodyweight back extension machine, but we do have a plate loaded contraption. I'm inclined to stick with the barbell and substitute good mornings -- is this as effective and again what should be the target rep range as I've read several places that heavy GMs are not a great idea.

I expect anything will do the job more or less but if there is clearly a best way then please let me know. I'm fairly confident the squat miss is lower back related, but if you think I may be doing something else then please advise.

What bare your numbers on the squat, deadlift, and clean, and your bodyweight?

5 and a half months in on linear progress, BW 100kg height 6'3, 135kg squat, 195kg deadlift, no cleans as the gym has no bumper plates and token matts. I've been doing deadlifts every other workout with chins/pull-ups on the alternate days. I think my deadlift is comparatively high because I have longer limbs, but I wouldn't be able to confirm what normal is, it's just my explanation for a relatively weak squat in comparison.

I think I started out fairly quad dominant which I blame on cycling, but I think I've finally managed to get my glutes & hip flexors doing work so I'm fingering the lower back as the cause for the GM finish on the misses. I don't think I lose tightness at the bottom and I'm wearing a belt, but I do have to cue myself to keep my chest up as I use the hip drive you teach.

I am not inclined to rely on back extensions to correct a back strength issue. I'll need to see your deadlift to make sure you're flat.

I think that what you are experiencing is the norm. As your squat goes up, different parts of your chain will be the ones that lag behind. I was around your current level when my back became the weak point. Funny thing is that, the best exercise to strengthen your lower back is squatting

On the off days try walking, uphill or stairs if possible. Not enough to the point you are exerting yourself, but enough to get your blood flowing through your muscles. People don’t realize how much this additional blood flow aids recovery.

Do you wear a belt? This may be a good point to throw in a belt, as it will make the muscles of your mid section girdle more efficient at squatting.

Can back extensions be dangerous for the spine?

Not for most people, but if you have a history of back pain, it might aggravate it. Wiggling your spine around with irritated facet joints or a damaged disc is not a good idea.

I have a feeling, assuming form is okay, that you just need to deadlift less often. Nowadays, my squat is crap when I try to go heavy within 48 hours of pulling. Based on your numbers, it may be the same for you. Residual fatigue is an issue when you start to get stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Not for most people, but if you have a history of back pain, it might aggravate it. Wiggling your spine around with irritated facet joints or a damaged disc is not a good idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I am not inclined to rely on back extensions to correct a back strength issue. I'll need to see your deadlift to make sure you're flat.
    I'm recovering (about 6 months out) from a ruptured disk. High rep/low weight (135 X 10) deadlift make me feel great ..... squats at any weight not so much. Back to OP's question. What would you recommend for fixing a weak lower back (esp. w/ a previous injury)? A focus on deadlift while maintaining but not progressing on squats?

I've read about the rehab protocol, but I'm way past reps of 15 at very light weight, just not ready to start adding on the lbs for squatting.

starting strength coach development program
    I'd like to see your squat form. There is no reason they should bother your back if deadlifts don't.