starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why is my bench press so shitty?

Default Why is my bench press so shitty?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi Mark,

I've completed SS, and am working on the texas method. However, my I've having trouble improving my bench press.

My other lifts are pretty strong. I'm 6ft 200lbs. These are my best lifts so far:
    Squat: 500x5
    Deadlift: 470x5
    Press: 170x5
    Bench: 235x5

I've been assured my form is fine, and I've even tried different grips on my bench, but I'm still having a lot of trouble. Could this just be genetic?

Thanks,

- Mike

Yeah, you're probably different from everyone else who started out with a shitty bench press and then got stronger by working hard.

I also suck at bench more so than the other lifts comparatively. I also never have "felt anything" in my chest from benching (soreness, pump, stress, etc). Is this related? Are we both just looking for sympathy in the fact that we will have to work harder at bench, or is there really something reason that this might be the case?

I was gonna make this topic soon... my bench has always sucked and the new strength standards confirm its relative weakness.

I was hoping someone would suggest a secret rep scheme or assistance exercise that would work wonders?

Quote Originally Posted by mps View Post
    I've completed SS, and am working on the texas method.

Squat: 500x5
    Wow! 500 x5 after Linear progression and a bit of TM.

Just out of curiosity (no, make it just sheer envy), how long did it take you ?

IPB

Assuming your form is fine (as you orginally stated), I would try a different program for your bench. The 5x5/1x5 seems to be working well for squats, and the 1x5 is working for DL's, but maybe you need something different for bench. I personally need more volume to keep my bench progressing, and I can get away with doing less on my squat/DL.

What's your press again, Fat Mark? Just checking, because my bad math says that this guy, who weighs about 200lbs. less than you and isn't a powerlifting legend and never sucked off Bill Starr, can probably 1RM pretty close to your best press. But really, do go on about hard work.

Who has assured you your form is fine out of curiousity? Such a huge difference leads me to think you could improve your form somehow? Or maybe you need some sort of assistance work for triceps, something like lying tricep extensions maybe? Or maybe it's something with mobility? I just have a hard time believing that someone who squats 500 lbs for 5 (assuming it's full depth) can't bench half of that for 5. Of course it is possible you are an exception.

Off topic...

...but me thinks that you're not squatting low enough.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by IlPrincipeBrutto View Post
    Wow! 500 x5 after Linear progression and a bit of TM.

Just out of curiosity (no, make it just sheer envy), how long did it take you ?

IPB
    That's a tough question. I started SS my junior year of highschool, but I didn't eat enough and kinda did it on and off.

I got more serious about it in college, and went from a 300lbx5 squat to 460x5 my freshman year. The following summer, had tonsil surgery, reset to 400lbs, started on the texas method and made it to 500 in 3 months. I should be clear that I only followed the texas method for my other lifts, all I did for squatting was 1x5 once a week going up 5lbs a week. That was 8 months ago, and since then I hurt my quad and am currently rehabbing it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast