starting strength gym

Thread: Training poorly for 2 years, I seek help

Default Training poorly for 2 years, I seek help

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hello Mr. Rippetoe,

I have been training poorly for about 2 years now. I was bought into the whole fitness magazine shit along with some online fitness gurus that just want money from people like myself. While I have gained some size and some sort of strength, I am frustrated.. Because, after purchasing your third SS book from amazon, I realized after reading it that the gains I have made were definitely not what they could have been. I feel like I have probably lost my noob gains, as everyone calls it.. However, my question to you is can I still make significant linear strength gains and how? also, should I be on a paleo diet, lower carb, or down a gallon of milk a day with four meals given my stats? (found below)
    I am 18, 5'5'' and tend to store fat around my love handles.

Below are my before/current working sets and stats:

*These are for reps of 5.

Weight: 100lbs / 133 lbs
    Bodyfat: 9% / 14-15%
    Squat: 95lbs / 185lbs
    Deadlift: 95lbs / 205lbs
    Press: 40lbs / 70lbs
    Bench: 60lbs / 115lbs
    P-Clean: N.A. / 135lbs
    Pullups: 0 / 16

My 1RM PR's before I got sick for about a month and a half (in case if it is of any help)
    Squat: 225lbs
    Deadlift: 240lbs
    Press: 90lbs
    Bench: 180lbs
    Pullups: 18

I am more motivated than I ever was before after reading your book, and my knowledge in terms utilizing correct angles for lifts, center of mass, force production, pulling mechanics, along with many other elements have increased tenfold.

Just do the program as it is written in the book. Exactly as it is written. Start each exercise as though you don't know your current numbers and let the warmups tell you what to do the first day, and then go up from there exactly as the program says. Eat exactly as the program says. It was designed for guys like you. You'll be fine.