starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Foul Smelling Bowel Movements

Default Foul Smelling Bowel Movements

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    First I’d like to apologize for the content of this question. Sorry!

Now that that’s out of the way, I’ve been tracking macros for about four weeks and getting 240g P/360 g C/90g F, and getting 25-35g fiber/day. This is working nicely for my current goals (weight maintenance & recovery).

The problem is that my bowel movements are foul and not very solid. My wife and kids can’t stand the smell and like to remind me constantly. Is there anything I can do to help with the odour? Is there any benefit to probiotics or digestive enzymes?

Thanks!

Have you tried flushing?

Seriously: Did this just happen with the new macros? What's different from your diet? What are your protein sources?

Karl's questions are valid, but this is funny sh*t (pun intended):

Haha, yes I flush, but the odour remains.

This definitely is coincides with my new macros. I’m eating more protein than I would if I wasn’t tracking, and much less fat. I’m not really sure what I would naturally gravitate to carbs-wise. I generally ate more fast food before and more home made meals now. I’m getting a lot more fiber now as well.

Protein sources are generally chicken, whey, turkey, pasteurized egg whites, sometimes white fish and some beef. I’ve gone days without the egg whites, doesn’t seem to make a difference. I haven’t tried going without the whey though because I wouldn’t hit my target without 2 scoops a day.

Any thoughts?

Try a couple of days without the whey. Report back. Is it isolate? What kind of whey?

It’s Canadian Protein, concentrate I believe. I’ll see what I can do to go without for a few days.

Thanks.

Let us know the quality of your flatulence. Describe it poetically.

Seriously, this will isolate the problem. Whey Isolate is usually easier to tolerate, so if it is the whey, you can try a different kind.

Quote Originally Posted by WRH View Post
    First I’d like to apologize for the content of this question. Sorry!

Now that that’s out of the way, I’ve been tracking macros for about four weeks and getting 240g P/360 g C/90g F, and getting 25-35g fiber/day. This is working nicely for my current goals (weight maintenance & recovery).

The problem is that my bowel movements are foul and not very solid. My wife and kids can’t stand the smell and like to remind me constantly. Is there anything I can do to help with the odour? Is there any benefit to probiotics or digestive enzymes?

Thanks!
    Maybe, you were unable to absorb the right amount of nutrients from the food you eat.

So this did just start when you started tracking? I agree with Karl, see if the Whey is the cause.
    I was going to say if this was happening before adding protein, it could be a sign of malabsorption, so probably not the case here. People tend to complain about "protein farts" with higher amounts of protein. See if taking out the whey => switching to a whey isolate helps. You may need to take your amount of protein down a little, but save that if nothing else works.

starting strength coach development program
    PooPourri really does work. My wife bought some and insists I give a couple sprays before I do the deed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast