starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Milk Alternative?

Default Milk Alternative?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Karl,
    Forgive me if this has been asked before.

I love milk. And cheese. Anything dairy related.

I have been slowly upping my milk intake to a quart a day since mid July, and have also started a whey shake a day and cottage cheese in the evenings on training days.

Experience in the past has been that consistent dairy in my diet brings out some pretty painful psoriasis on my face and scalp.

I thought I was free of that, but 2 weeks or so ago it flared up bad and has not gone away.

Short of just sucking it up and dealing with it, which I may have to do, are you aware of anything just as cheap (milk is just over a dollar a gallon here) and effective in terms of calories and protein as milk?

Thank you!
    Mike

I'm sorry to hear that!

Can you do the whey without the milk? Try some isolation tests. It's going to be difficult but not impossible to get your protein in if you can't have whey. Calories can be gotten from other sources. I would try mixing the whey with water, or use Rip's diet soda trick. See if it makes the psoriasis act up.

Thanks, Carl!
    I will give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Longnecker View Post
    milk is just over a dollar a gallon here
    Dang! Where do you live that milk is that cheap? I may need to move.

South Carolina! Check out aldi if you have one.

Also, Karl, forgive me. I spelled your name wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Longnecker View Post
    South Carolina! Check out aldi if you have one.

Also, Karl, forgive me. I spelled your name wrong.
    Unforgivable.

https://www.ams.usda.gov/sites/defau...Prices2018.pdf

I think these prices are a bit high - it says I pay $2.22/gallon in Indianapolis, but neither Aldi or Kroger ever go nearly that high - I think it's usually $1.29-$1.59, depending on the day.

Just like the government to have no clue where to go to save money...

-->Adam

Milk in Alabama Walmart is under a buck. I think it is slightly subsidized to compete with Aldis.

I would pay a tiny bit more money to not have to deal with psoriasis. Milk is convenient, but not that convenient.

A quart of whole milk is what, around 5-600 calories? You can sprinkle that in throughout your daily meals pretty easily. That's about another scoop of whey isolate, an ounce of olive oil, and a serving or two of carbohydrates wherever you see fit. Nothing is really as cheap as milk, but that is about a buck extra a day in food cost, vs around a quarter? You could also add in some hard boiled eggs for snacks. I would use it as an opportunity to eat more tasty foods throughout the day. I'd eat some sausage everyday and whatever your favorite carbs are for extra calories.

First, I have no nutritional knowledge, but it seems that if the framework of GOMAD works for you, you can apply the same framework to eating other stuff, either in addition to or instead of milk.

Pound of beef jerky a day? Roasted soybeans? Donuts? The framework could apply to just about anything.

I use this for a quart of kool-aid+sucralose+fiber powder mix - I just sip it throughout the day (and recently added creatine).

-->Adam

starting strength coach development program
    A good information source that allows you to search for foods based on their nutrient breakdown is the Nutrition Data by Self magazine website. Apparently the highest protein concentration outside of protein powders is oogruk, so if you live near a Bearded Seal population you should be golden.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast