starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First squat form check

Default First squat form check

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    Hey all,

I've been doing the program for a little while now and in honor of reaching 225 on my squat I thought it was about time to post a video and have you all rip my form to shreds.

With that said, I've only recently been able to record myself and it was a little eye-opening. I seem to be a little high, and I'm thinking maybe I should start out the movement with a little more knee bend?

Set One

Set Two

Set Three

Any help you all can give is appreciated.

Damn those mirrors. What are you looking at?

Can you get someone to go over the hip-drive exercise with you? Without the bar, squat down, and push your elbows against your knees. Now, have someone lean on your backside, and drive him up. Make sure you keep your gaze pointed at a spot about 4 feet in front of you. You should try it this way, and then looking forward like you are in the video. See the difference? Now squat, doing the same thing.

I would try this first, and see how it works. Otherwise, I think you are getting your hips a bit ahead of your knees on the way down, by which I mean you pop your hips back, and then unlock your knees. Those things should happen at the same time. I have to tell myself "Knees, Ass," to get things in the proper order. You should probably also check your bar position. I think it might be a little high.

Hip drive, first. Then see what else needs fixing.

Thanks, I'll run the the drill again as you suggest. I'll post a follow-up video tomorrow.

Default First squat form check

Not deep enough

Eyes down

More hip drive

Ok, I really focused on keeping my head down and initiating the movement with my knees. I still seem to be high, but the movement feels much more natural than what I was doing before. What's next to work on?

Set One

Set Two

Set Three

Thanks again for any help you can give.

I think those are a million times better. You are still tending to look at the mirror. If I were you, I'd turn around and squat facing the other way. It will be fun: people will be freaked out. It's like standing backward in an elevator. So, face away from the mirror, and before you start, pick a spot on the ground and look at it. Bring a spot, if you need one.

You're a bit high, but your second and third sets got better. Turn your toes out a little bit more, and it should help.

If I were you, I'd get some weightlifting shoes. It's a small investment, and you'll see instant improvement. In fact, if you are anything like me, you'll be mad at yourself for not getting them sooner.

Ha yeah that should be fun considering the typical folks that frequent my gym.

Ok, I think I've made some improvement but I've still got some stuff to work on.

I'm still struggling with keeping my head down throughout, although I'm slowly getting better. In my last set, it looks like my knees also might be coming in a bit. What do you all think?

Set One

Set Two

Set Three

Sorry about the camera angles, I was by myself so I had to make due setting the camera on random equipment that was not currently in use.

You've got to get your eyes down. Put a water bottle 4ft in front of you, and stare at it. By "stare", I mean point your nose at it. I think this will work wonders.

I think these are pretty good. You'll get better at keeping the knees out as you get stronger. Get some shoes!

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks Karl Schudt for all your feedback so far, it has been tremendously helpful.

I bought some shoes (finally) and have been progressing steadily, unfortunately I seem to be developing some knee pain. My left knee is tender to the touch on top of the patella and where the quadriceps tendon inserts into the knee joint. Also, once I reach my workset weight there is some pain that travels up the front of my quad and around the lower part of the IT band. This pain stops shortly after the set is completed.

This last workout I really focused on keeping my legs out, from the video (set three especially) I seem to not be accomplishing this, so I'm thinking it may be time to reset.

Set One

Set Two

Set Three

Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast