starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    Hey!

I'm in need of advice on squat. It seems that I get too forward on my squat and it is causing problems as I put more weight on my back :P

Here's a video of me doing squats http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmZz1apQQ1Y
    First set is 60kg (132lbs)
    Second set 72.5kg (160lbs)
    Third set 80kg (176lbs)

I'm around 77kg (170lbs)
    184cm/6.04 feet
    22 years old

So any advice/comments/critique would be helpful.
    Last edited by erki; 08-06-2011 at 05:30 PM.

I think you need to
    1) Have a wider stance
    2) Get your toes out more
    3) About half-way down on the squat, you should not let your knees come forward anymore. You can do this by sitting back with your hips. Maybe someone else can explain this one better.

WL1 has hit it out of the park. Do what he says. But only a slightly wider stance - don't over-do it. Oh, and don't drop into the hole quite so fast or deep - you're about an inch to 2" (that's 2.54cm-5.08cm for you Euro-types) deep. And the standard "Get your head down," the cue that everyone needs to tell themselves before they film a form check video, since no one does.

You're a tall fucker, aintcha? What's your height / weight? DO you live near a dairy? I ask this because you are skinny. You need to eat. A lot.

And next time you film a technique video, please don't wear black or other really dark colors. Makes it hard for us to see what's what.
    Last edited by Steve Hill; 08-06-2011 at 04:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in ATL View Post
    WL1 has hit it out of the park. Do what he says. But only a slightly wider stance - don't over-do it. Oh, and don't drop into the hole quite so fast or deep - you're about an inch to 2" (that's 2.54cm-5.08cm for you Euro-types) deep. And the standard "Get your head down," the cue that everyone needs to tell themselves before they film a form check video, since no one does.

You're a tall fucker, aintcha? What's your height / weight? DO you live near a dairy? I ask this because you are skinny. You need to eat. A lot.

And next time you film a technique video, please don't wear black or other really dark colors. Makes it hard for us to see what's what.
    Ok thank you for the info.

Lol actually not that tall, 184cm/6.04 feet and my weight is 77kg/170lbs.
    I think that it just looks like I'm very tall from the video, but yes, I am skinny. Working on it as we speak :P

I don't live near a dairy

Additional info. When I get to the hole, my torso leans a few cm/inch forward to stabilize. That means I have to use my lower back to bring the weight back to my center of balance.

Also you are right, I can barely see my form in those black clothes, next time I'll wear something more colorful