starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting my dad into weight-training

Default Getting my dad into weight-training

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hello SS forum.
    My dad has, after years of denial, shown interest in losing weight and becoming stronger. He is willing to join the local gym in order to do so (which is a HUGE step away from his sedetary lifestyle and dismissal of fitness), but he is still very skeptical about barbell weight training, and thus also the program I follow (SS).
    The problem is, I don't know what program to put him on or recommend to him. I'm eternally afraid that I'm going to hurt him if I make him do a program involving barbell training, but I'm also afraid to put him on a machine-circus program, which would cause him to lose interest after the first few weeks.
    A bit of info about him:
    55 yrs, 160lbs skinny-fat build, 5'5"(170cm), of pretty good health with no serious health issues.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a strength training program to prescribe to a senior?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Martin Bavngaard; 06-24-2016 at 09:34 AM.

I think the idea that he'll hurt himself with barbell weight training is silly and 50 is by no means too old. If anything, an older guy who ISN'T going to go nuts adding weight and pushing hard on a novice LP Is probably the least likely to injure himself.

If he's in truly woeful shape or just lacks confidence you may need some kind of progression for squats like leg press to goblet squat to barbell squat.

But I think the systemic loading and fast results of a novice LP is probably the best driver to continue training further (and I bet once he sees how much stronger he is than was before he started and how much stronger he is in comparison to his peers he'll be hooked). He'll probably just have a much shorter LP than a 20 year old guy and will need to transition to advanced programs (or maintenance mode if he doesn't really want to push it) sooner.

Thank you for your reply. I see what you mean, and I dont think he will hurt himself.. but would you limit the volume or frequency of his workouts then? Or just have him follow the program as written? (But probably without the milk and huge caloric requirements)

Start him with an empty bar for each lift. If the bar is too heavy, find lighter fixed barbell for OHP's. In the case of deadlifts, maybe put the empty or lightly loaded bar on blocks or safety catches in the rack at the right height a bar loaded with standard size plates would elevate the bar. Add weight each set and session as possible, recognizing and carefully gauging his potential improvement and limitations.

Stick to the program as written in terms of volume and frequency until it becomes apparent that the frequency is too much. Down-regulating BOTH volume and frequency may be more than is necessary at the outset.

This is something of trial and error and art more than science. So start slow and both of you may be pleasantly surprised at his progress.

Follow as written for volume and frequency (probably go right to 2 kilo/5 lb weight jumps on everything and start microloading bench/press after a couple weeks) and then adjust from there. I think Mr Hurling has the right idea.

A nice solution with good points from both of you. I'll let him have a go at the program as written in the book under my supervision.
    Thank you for your replies!

Quote Originally Posted by brkriete View Post
    I think Mr Hurling has the right idea.
    Dude! Enough with the Mr. stuff, OK? I feel old enough already getting a mere few months from 66. Kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Dude! Enough with the Mr. stuff, OK? I feel old enough already getting a mere few months from 66. Kidding.
    Sorry, I know people at your advanced age are often insecure about it. I'll try to be more thoughtful of your geezer feelings.

Speaking as one who has passed the 70 mark, 55 is not old. Hell, 70's not that old if you pay a little bit of attention. Far worse than the age is the years of deconditioning. The suggestions above about starting with minimal weights and making small increments are good. I just started with the regular SS novice progression two years ago, and got several months out of it until I dropped back to a two-day post-novice program. Just watch the rate of increase on the weights, and keep it appropriate.

Biggest concerns IMHO are form/technique, food, and motivation.

Make sure the form is perfect to keep him from hurting himself. He's gonna get sore for a while, and that's hard enough to deal with for somebody who's ambivalent. Injury is a program killer.

Gotta eat enough protein, and probably will want to increase overall calories, but not like you would with an 18 year old.

Motivation's the biggest question. People do things because of perceived rewards. What does he perceive as reward enough to justify the effort of spending a few hours per week putting out a lot of effort? For me, it's a lot of things: It's nice being stronger than most of the people I see on the street (he can do that, too). Life is easier, everyday things are lighter and tasks are easier when you are stronger. You don't get hurt as easily and balance is better. Women, even older women, appreciate a trim, strong body. My biggest motivation is independence; I don't want to have to depend on anyone when I'm in my 90s, and getting stronger and staying that way is one way to improve my odds.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by brkriete View Post
    Sorry, I know people at your advanced age are often insecure about it. I'll try to be more thoughtful of your geezer feelings.
    It's just hard to get used to. The Old Man was always Mr. Hurling for me. I know I can't fill his shoes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast