starting strength gym

Thread: Skwat check... back angle?

Default Skwat check... back angle?

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    Ok, it's been a few sessions and I've tried to make adjustments based off everyone's recommendations. I think my knees are doing better coming into position early and my head position isn't straight down. But coming into my knees a little more seems to have affected my back angle... and I don't know if that's for the best. Anyway, here's Wonderwall.

230x5
    Squat 6 May 17 - YouTube

Last technique thread: Squat and Power Clean check... Thanks!!

Thanks for your help!

Your back angle is fine, but you're still not getting the knees set early enough. Get them out hard right from the start, your cue to begin squatting would be "knees out!".

These are good looking squats. 2 things to work out, both related to one another:

1) You are initiating your squats by breaking at the hips THEN the knees. You should break at BOTH the hips and knees simultaneously. You may have to the "KNEES" at the start of the squat to correct this.

2) You look to be on your heels. We squat from midfoot. Breaking at the hips before the knees will put you on your heels (see 1).

Knowing my back angle is good will probably make setting my knees early easier. That being said, I feel like having to lean forward before the squat begins (so the bar doesn't roll off my back, SS figure 2-4) makes that difficult. Anybody else experience that?

Thanks for your help, and "KNEES OUT"!

I think I made the corrections you guys suggested.... at least I tried. On a rep or two my knees started to come in, but I pushed them out; I think I set them early enough though. I felt that I was over mid foot much more.

Squat 13 May 17 - YouTube