starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: One main lift a day

Default One main lift a day

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    After going through the original program and on to TM several weeks ago I decided to move to one lift per day as outlined on page 157 in PP3. Between age (56),a busy lifestyle and it becoming harder to recover I thought this would be a good routine. So far I like it. Does anyone else follow this and if so how long and what kind of progress have you made?

I'll have to re-read that section. I'm 51, and only 8 weeks into the SS novice LP, but I'm having a hard time getting in my now 2 lift days per week (usually Tue and Fri). It just takes too long waiting for the squat rack, and then getting in my three lifts. For example, after waiting forever for the squat rack, and then waiting forever for a bench for my BP, I waited forever for dead lift equipment, and finally gave up. I got in my two lifts. Not sure what to do. The gym is near my work; maybe I can get in one lift per lunch hour, 4 or 5 times per week. Is it too early in the program to go to one lift a day?

I've been following this since early November. I've made more progress since than in the previous 2-3 years of trying TM twice, 12-15 cycles of Wendler's 5-3-1, and the older lifter intermediate program from PPST3. I've set new 1RMs in all four lifts. I recommend it.

I am doing a version of One Lift Per Day training for a meet (47 yrs old, training for 2+ years). I do the following:

Day 1: Heavy Squat 5 x 5 (5 minute rest between each set - done in less than an hour
    Day 2 : Heavy Bench 5 x 5
    Day 3 : Deadlift 5 x 5
    Day 4: Light Squat 80% of Day 1 x 5 x 4 (5 sets of 4 reps)
    Day 5: Light Bench 80% of Day 2 x 5 x 4

I am progressing incredibly well - gone are the nagging injuries, recovery is great and I too am breaking rep/set PR's. Was just looking at the program and trying to figure out where to possibly stick once a Week Press work . .

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Jones View Post
    trying to figure out where to possibly stick once a Week Press work . .
    I wouldn't have an objection to any day other than day 1, after your main lift. 3 would by my first choice, 4 my second.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    I wouldn't have an objection to any day other than day 1, after your main lift. 3 would by my first choice, 4 my second.
    I think Day 3 is a good option. I am going to use Set/Rep mix Jordan suggests in TM-PL. Instead of 3x5, go with 5 x 3. Keep Pressing on . . (thanks for the confirmation on what I was noodling around, Adam)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Jones View Post
    thanks for the confirmation on what I was noodling around, Adam
    Anything for BBL. You're a source of inspiration and a hero to me, big man.

I just can't stand sitting in the basement for more than hour. So I've been messing around with a one lift per day variant for a couple of months now. I looked at the 5/3/1ish model in PP3, pages 156-7, for guidance. But I ended up lifting 6 or 7 days a week, some of which are very light. I've been making good progress on most lifts.

For what it's worth, ignoring set and rep ranges, it looks like this:

Day 1 (M): Bench/Rows, Assistance, Conditioning (HIIT on C2)
    Day 2 (T): Squat, Assistance
    Day 3 (w): Rows/Bench, Assistance, ~Conditioning (HIIT on C2)
    Day 4 (R): Deadlift
    Day 5 (F): Bench/Rows, Assistance, Conditioning (HIIT on C2)
    Day 6 (S): Squat, *Power Clean
    Day 7 (S): *Power Clean (if not done the day before)

I have to do row variations since I can't raise my hands above my head for a while. Otherwise, I'd be pressing. But I think all the rowing is helping my bench and my shoulders. I have absolutely no should pain. It used to be chronic.

I end up benching twice one week and rowing twice the next.

I can change the set and rep scheme on the second squat or bench day as needed.

Apart from rowing day, most of the time I do very little assistance work other than more sets of the same lift at lighter weights (aka "boring but big")

This allows me to get my work done in typically less than an hour. Deadlift day might take only 20 minutes.

Can anyone see any obvious problems with this setup that I could correct?

Kyle Schuant Guest

I like this sort of thing, and not only for the "elderly". Even if not one lift a day, but 2 lifts 3 times a week, it keeps the workouts a sensible length. Many disagree with me, but I firmly believe that for intermediates, generally speaking less is more.
    Last edited by Kyle Schuant; 03-01-2015 at 04:23 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Schuant View Post
    I like this sort of thing, and not only for the "elderly". Even if not one lift a day, but 2 lifts 3 times a week, it keeps the workouts a sensible length. Many disagree with me, but I firmly believe that for intermediates, generally speaking less is more.
    Absolutely "less is more" for me. Although there is more volume on my Heavy Squat Day...my right ankle has gone from staying swollen the size of a large grapefruit since the time of my accident to now being almost normal sized. More flexibility etc...the difference? I am not squatting 3 days a week. One lift a day (and with adding the press) is/was a blessing for me. Full Disclosure: I actually got the idea and program from an article I read by Pavel writing about Faleev and his 80/20 program

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast