starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beginner or Intermediate? Transferring from CrossFit

Default Beginner or Intermediate? Transferring from CrossFit

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Howdy folks,

I've done CrossFit for a few years. I'm frustrated for all the usual reasons and looking at making the switch to starting strength. I've done regular strength work (I won't say "training") underneath the CF conditioning work - squat, press, and deadlift at least once a week etc. - but nothing in a linear progression.

Here's my question: Am I better off starting with the beginner or intermediate program? I understand that much of the progress promised in the beginner's program comes from being new to barbell training. Someone like myself has put in a lot of sweat effort and built up a significant training tolerance, but without the programming and recovery necessary to make long-term improvement. So, how much of the novice effect have I killed with CrossFit -should I start out on an intermediate program or a beginner one?

Linear progression - beginner/novice - is always where someone new to training (or returning from a layoff) should start. This means you. You only want to go to programs where improvements are slower - intermediate/advanced - when you need to. You also need to learn to do the lifts correctly. Starting Strength has 300 odd pages on how to go about the model and the lifts.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob W View Post
    So, how much of the novice effect have I killed with CrossFit -should I start out on an intermediate program or a beginner one?
    When you start lifting weights, it's not like a clock starts ticking, and you have 3 months to get in all your "noob gains" before they're lost forever. Strangely, this misconception is common. You start with the program that works the fastest, and stick with it until it doesn't work any more.

If you want to learn more, pick up Practical Programming, too. Like SS:BBT3, it has a wealth of content, and the authors know their shit.

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    Linear progression - beginner/novice - is always where someone new to training (or returning from a layoff) should start. This means you. You only want to go to programs where improvements are slower - intermediate/advanced - when you need to. You also need to learn to do the lifts correctly. Starting Strength has 300 odd pages on how to go about the model and the lifts.
    Listen to stef. You're a novice because you've never run a linear progression before. You'll be different because you'll likely be able to start with more weight than most people. For your first session, keep working up in sets of 5 until the bar speed begins to slow down. When that happens, do two more sets at the same weight. It may feel too easy. 6 weeks from now (18 sessions later), it won't. Resist the urge to add more than 10 lbs per workout on any exercise. Since you're already trained, you'll likely be starting heavier, and 20 lb. jumps won't be sustainable for long.

Most importantly, buy and read the book, which explains how to do all this in meticulous detail.

Whenever you ask a question like this you should always include your gender, age, weight, height, and current lift stats in addition to exercise experience and current fitness level (and any physical weirdnesses). The more quantifiable information you share, the more informed the answers you get will be (although yeah, there's zero reason for you to do an intermediate program).

There's really no such thing as a "beginner program" with Starting Strength. If you go in the first day and work up to where your reps start to slow on the squat and other lifts, then progress from there, you'll probably be lifting pretty heavy from day 1 given your background. My guess is that 3 weeks in your workouts will be just as hard as anything that you were doing in Crossfit.

Make sure to eat enough. If you've been doing Paleo/Zone for the last year you're in for a rude surprise.

Thanks, all. I really appreciate the pointers and feedback. Knowing how to find my working sets given my background is invaluable. Reading material is en route.

Stats:
    Male, 6'2", 195 lbs. Lanky - long limbs, short torso
    Squat: 305
    Deadlift: 435
    Press: 155
    Bench: 285

Nutrition: I have a history of ulcerative colitis which I manage with diet and lifestyle variables. In the past, caloric intake has been a limiting factor due to an intolerance for the sheer volume of food I needed to eat to recover. However, I've found that non-homogenized milk and white rice don't give me any issues, so with those significant augmentations to the paleo diet, here we go.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob W View Post
    Male, 6'2", 195 lbs.

However, I've found that non-homogenized milk and white rice don't give me any issues, so with those significant augmentations to the paleo diet, here we go.
    I can't wait until you are 6'2" 240 and go back to the "box" and just destroy people.

question: why non-homogenized milk? i don't see how that would make a difference, but i am ignorant

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiburon View Post
    question: why non-homogenized milk? i don't see how that would make a difference, but i am ignorant
    Because the cream is delicious, obviously.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast