starting strength gym

Thread: Foam Rolling

Default Foam Rolling

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    For those of you who find it to help reduce aches and pains, do you prefer to use it before, after or both with respect to workout timing? Especially the >40 crowd.

Sorry but I'm in the over 30 club, but I like to foam roll the night before the day I train. I am really aggressive in the spots that are super tight and just a light roll on the areas that are fine. It helps me sleep better too.

I used to be part of the "foam roll right before you train" club but I've found that for me, this creates too much relaxation...like stretching does. As a warm up, I prefer to just do more warm up sets and reps if need be.

Otherwise, I'll foam roll the night of training...especially if I deadlifted. So since I deadlift 3X a week, and right now I'm training 4X a week, I pretty much foam roll every night LOL : )

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne_KONG_Wint View Post
    Sorry but I'm in the over 30 club, but I like to foam roll the night before the day I train. I am really aggressive in the spots that are super tight and just a light roll on the areas that are fine. It helps me sleep better too.

I used to be part of the "foam roll right before you train" club but I've found that for me, this creates too much relaxation...like stretching does. As a warm up, I prefer to just do more warm up sets and reps if need be.

Otherwise, I'll foam roll the night of training...especially if I deadlifted. So since I deadlift 3X a week, and right now I'm training 4X a week, I pretty much foam roll every night LOL : )
    Interesting. I'm noticing the same thing about rolling preworkout. In the same vein, no way would I feel like lifting after a massage. Right now I'm doing it in the morning since I'm the Tin Man without any oil when I wake up, and like you, before bed or sometime in the evening.

Hi there, im only 30 but maybe my experience is of any value for someone

I have a small foam rolling routine which i do every evening.

- Upper back (cracking my own back so to say)
    - Shoulder with a little ball (can be a lacrosse ball or a "foam rolling ball") - can be done lying or standing against a wall.
    - Lats sideways (that really hurts in the beginning)
    - Hamstrings
    - Buttcheecks (with the ball again, hurts also like hell in the beginning)
    - Sometimes calves

Doesn't take more than about 5 minutes if you're not particulary stiff or tight.
    I found it really helps with pain and aches when i do it this way.

Maybe you want to take a look at De Francos Limber 11 routine and incorperate some of this into your own "mobility routine"

Greetings

Only a N of 2 but the consensus is in the evening. Intuitively, that makes sense for me.