starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Check, Just Switched to HyperThrow Shoes

Default Squat Check, Just Switched to HyperThrow Shoes

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Stats: Male, age 32, 177 lbs, just switched from SS novice to a custom intermediate template from Andy Baker.

I've been getting patellar tendon pain from squats for a while now using Pendlay Do-Win shoes. Several people here suggested trying flat shoes to reduce it so I got a pair of Asics HyperThrows. It has helped the knee pain but I'm curious about how the switch has affected my form.

This is my third set of three at 125 kg (~275 lbs). Not sure about depth on that last rep. I'd appreciate any suggestions and thank you all for taking the time to help us here.

Video link for mobile users: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNyu...ature=youtu.be

Almost all of your reps were a little high and you look like the weight is on your toes for most of the reps. Go deeper. Think: heels. If the patellar pain doesn't resolve, go back to squatting in a shoe that provides proper support.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    Almost all of your reps were a little high and you look like the weight is on your toes for most of the reps. Go deeper. Think: heels. If the patellar pain doesn't resolve, go back to squatting in a shoe that provides proper support.
    Out of curiosity, what do you see that tells you he is on his toes?

Quote Originally Posted by mev20 View Post
    Out of curiosity, what do you see that tells you he is on his toes?
    He looks like he shifts forward slightly after he begins his ascent. Also watch the end of his bar. It moves forward a little, too, on the way up. His heels aren't coming up off the ground, but he looks a little unbalanced forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    He looks like he shifts forward slightly after he begins his ascent. Also watch the end of his bar. It moves forward a little, too, on the way up. His heels aren't coming up off the ground, but he looks a little unbalanced forward.
    Thanks. I see it now. And, having seen it, I think I coincidentally recognize (from feel) that slight forward movement at the start of the ascent in my own squat.