starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Looking for advice on my squat form, apologize for the bad camera. I see that the bar comes forward out of the vertical near the bottom but I'm not sure how to fix it. I've been doing this self-taught for 3-4 months now. This is 270x5, at this point I'm going up 5lbs/workout but it's getting hard to sustain.

Do I need to go back down to lighter weight to fix form and then come back up?

Squat 270x5 - YouTube

Your knees are going too far forward, which is helping the bar to drift forward and you are lifting your chest. Sit back and hold your knees back. You won't squat with a vertical shin, but you have too much knee travel now. Had you filmed this from the rear oblique, as specfied in the sticky, I would be able to say if your knees aren't going out enough. Alas, I am not sure. Read the sticky, friends. I think one out of every three questions I answer involves me repeating that. Keep your chin down as you drive up with your hips. I would like to see you in some proper weightlifting shoes. Lastly, check out the bar position video. I would bet that all of this requires 15 or 20 pounds to come off the bar.

Thanks for the advice! Sorry about the filming position, I'll try to get a better video this week. I just got some zero-drop, thin-soled Vivobarefoot running shoes (not the ones in the video)... what advantage would weightlifting shoes give over a shoe like that?

Quote Originally Posted by nseibt View Post
    Thanks for the advice! Sorry about the filming position, I'll try to get a better video this week. I just got some zero-drop, thin-soled Vivobarefoot running shoes (not the ones in the video)... what advantage would weightlifting shoes give over a shoe like that?
    weightlifting shoes campitelli site:startingstrength.com - Google Search