starting strength gym

Thread: Power clean

Default Power clean

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Last working set of 155 lbs. Yes I know my shoes suck and yes I can see that my feet land in strange places, including some lateral split. Any tips on how to fix this? Are my arms bending too early? Thanks for watching.

Quote Originally Posted by calmasahinducow View Post
    Last working set of 155 lbs. Yes I know my shoes suck and yes I can see that my feet land in strange places, including some lateral split. Any tips on how to fix this?
    Yes. Don't do it. Put your feet back where they started before the jump.

Are my arms bending too early?
    They appear to be so to me, and I think you agree or you would not have asked this specifically.

Other things that need fixing is that you are catching the bar in your hands prior to finishing your rack. Elbows need to be MUCH faster. You're not supposed to catch the bar in your hands and then lever it to your delts - you're supposed to catch it on your delts. I'd have to d/l the video and slow it down, but it appears to me that you are a little to close to the bar (and your shoulders to far forward) during the set-up. This is causing you to pull the bar forward when you jump - note on the 2nd rep how you have to step forward quickly to catch the bar.

Thanks for watching.
    You're welcome.

Jesus, that's a strange way to bring the bar back to the ground.

#1. I would approach your setup standing up - get your shins an inch away then lean forward and grab the bar etc etc. Don't roll the bar towards you and setup that way.

#2. You are donkey kicking with your legs - don't do that, just jump straight up.

#3. Slam those elbows up (remember the picture in SS where you slam your elbows into Rips palms?) Do that.

This weight should be light enough to do the lift correctly. Tell yourself to pull harder while you're setting up. Think 'relaxed hands' and 'fast elbows', and try to catch it in the finished rack position on your deltoids, like Steve said.

Thanks guys.

I tried some power snatches today. These are the first time I've done these with weight. I notice that my arms are still bending too early.

Have you watched Rip's video teaching the power snatch?

Your starting stance is too wide - would you do a vertical jump from that stance? It looks like you're trying to swing the bar. I'm not sure how to explain what is wrong with your pull, but it has to be much more explosive, and the bar's movement should be like a whip. Arms remain straight until you're finished pulling. The bar stays as close to your chest on the way up as you can get it.

What are your stats? Specifically, height.

If you go to the end of the photos from the ATL seminar recap (photos 44-48), you can see some folks (including me, in the grey shirt) learning to PS from Juli, who is one of the instructors at the seminars (as well as the manager or WFAC, and an all-around great minn-uh-soe-tah gal). I'm in the grey shirt, and 5'10" note stance width, and grip width, and then compare and contrast.

Note: This is one of the nice things about the seminars - you learn useful shit by hanging around at lunch and working instead of going somewhere to eat. We learned to PS.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeC1 View Post
    Have you watched Rip's video teaching the power snatch?

Your starting stance is too wide - would you do a vertical jump from that stance? It looks like you're trying to swing the bar. I'm not sure how to explain what is wrong with your pull, but it has to be much more explosive, and the bar's movement should be like a whip. Arms remain straight until you're finished pulling. The bar stays as close to your chest on the way up as you can get it.
    Didn't know there was a video; will definitely watch it later today! I don't know what to say other than I am terrible at the explosive lifts.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in ATL View Post
    What are your stats? Specifically, height.

If you go to the end of the photos from the ATL seminar recap (photos 44-48), you can see some folks (including me, in the grey shirt) learning to PS from Juli, who is one of the instructors at the seminars (as well as the manager or WFAC, and an all-around great minn-uh-soe-tah gal). I'm in the grey shirt, and 5'10" note stance width, and grip width, and then compare and contrast.

Note: This is one of the nice things about the seminars - you learn useful shit by hanging around at lunch and working instead of going somewhere to eat. We learned to PS.
    I'm exactly 6' 208 lbs in the attire above, but I think have slightly long legs for my height. I wear 34" inseam jeans. I think tomorrow I'm just going to do some hang cleans with 135 lbs and take some video of that.

starting strength coach development program
    Didn't know there was a video; will definitely watch it later today! I don't know what to say other than I am terrible at the explosive lifts.

I'm exactly 6' 208 lbs in the attire above, but I think have slightly long legs for my height. I wear 34" inseam jeans. I think tomorrow I'm just going to do some hang cleans with 135 lbs and take some video of that.
    I don't think that your legs are long for your height. At 5'10", I have a 33" inseam, so...

Anyway.

Take a wider grip, almost out at the collars, and narrower stance.