starting strength gym

Thread: Squat and Programming Check

Default Squat and Programming Check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi Tom!

In light of my last work set for squats -> Here I read through PPST again and came to the conclusion that in some of my lifts I am putting to much pressure on myself to make PRs every workout. I know you don't have the time to read everyone's logs, so in short, I am 40 and coming off back from a microdiscectomy L5 - S1 surgery back in 2011.

2 Requests:
    1) Would you please do a squat check on this last workout? 3rd set was a miss on 4th rep.
    It went 340x5 (12 min rest) 340x5 (14 min rest) 340x3 (laid it on the pins and tucked tail)

2) Would you please take a look at what I have programmed for the next couple of weeks and tell me if this is a good approach? For example, is my recovery day not enough volume? Going off of PPST programming on page 97.

I've stalled in the press and I am just not recovering well enough in my squat. Note: I am taking next week off due to travel.

8/17
    Squat - 340x5, 320x5x2
    Bench - 225x5x3
    Chins - BW

8/19
    Squat - 250x5x3
    Press - 160x5, 152x5x2
    Dead - 325x5x1

8/25
    Squat - 345x5, 325x5x2
    Bench - 230x5x3
    Chins - BW

8/27/15
    Squat - 255x5x3
    Press - 165x5, 157x5x2
    Dead - 330x5x1

*Adding more chins and taking PCs out until I get my deadlift up to something respectable.

Just tell me to run along if you don't have time for this shit. I can take it.

And by the way, +1 on the appreciation thread. I have learned so much watching all the checks. Thank you again for all that you do!

Not bad at all. However, you do seem to flex your spine a touch. I'd like to see you keep your back more rigid. Really tighten down against your held breath and drive your knees out a little more. You also have two speeds - fast or fail. Getting tighter should help you when things slow down.

You are probably knocking on the door of intermediate programming. Your setup above may help you eek out another few weeks of progress. Realize that a programming change is probably warranted in the near future. Your recovery day is fine. You could even squat 2 sets of 5 instead of three, if you wanted.