starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Check

Default Squat Check

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    BLUF:

Details:

I was squatting in a commercial gym for about two years without checking my form. What was happening was terrible, so I've been working on fixing major issues (knees to far forward, chest collapsing) since I'm set up at home now.

There are some things I'm working on (left knee moves, left wrist isn't as straight as the right, bar tends to angle to the left), but I'd really appreciate knowing if I'm on the right track in general.

I wanted to post a video of directly behind as well, but didn't want to violate Tom's rule about more than one video. From behind it can be seen that my right hip is significantly lower than the left at the bottom. This concerns me but it seems like an anatomical issue and not a technique problem to me.

Quote Originally Posted by poppunk View Post
    BLUF:

Details:

I was squatting in a commercial gym for about two years without checking my form. What was happening was terrible, so I've been working on fixing major issues (knees to far forward, chest collapsing) since I'm set up at home now.

There are some things I'm working on (left knee moves, left wrist isn't as straight as the right, bar tends to angle to the left), but I'd really appreciate knowing if I'm on the right track in general.

I wanted to post a video of directly behind as well, but didn't want to violate Tom's rule about more than one video. From behind it can be seen that my right hip is significantly lower than the left at the bottom. This concerns me but it seems like an anatomical issue and not a technique problem to me.
    They're not just Tom's rules - They're everyone's rules!

Anyway, first two things to fix. You need to, immediately when you start to squat, think "BEND OVER," because you're not really. You're back is still far to vertical at the bottom. Second, and also extremely important: On the rebound, thing "DRIVE MY HIPS UP" because hip drive is the most important part of the squat, and you have none. You're leading with your chest allll the way up.

Fix those two things and we'll go from there.

Steve,

Thanks for the free coaching, it is appreciated. This is the best set I had from last night:

Squat Check - 9 December 2016 - YouTube

My back angle is slightly lower, but I don't know if it is anywhere near where you want it. I seem to have trouble changing my back angle until my knees are set moving forward. I'm thinking of it while I'm thinking about unlocking my knees and hips at the same time, but it's happening later than I'm perceiving.

On some reps my ass shoots backwards. This has been a thing in the past; it always feels like driving up to me but my knees pull back and then the weight ends up way forward of midfoot. In the second rep you can see me trying to correct for it by pushing out harder on the knees but it seems to murder hip drive.

You're breaking at the knees first, then the hips. Hips and knees should break at the same time. You have to bend over a *little* more. Squat in the rack with the safeties if you have to. Pushing your knees out does not address hips shooting back. YOU address hips shooting back by making it not happen. Drive the hips UP. You actually did it a little on reps 4/5, but you start lifting your chest about 1/3 of the way up instead of staying with your hips.

I think a visit to an SSC is your best move.
    Last edited by Steve Hill; 12-10-2016 at 08:03 PM.

Steve,

Is the SSC database correct in that there is no coach in Colorado, particularly the Denver/Boulder metro area? Nicholas Soleyn is the closest coach listed, and he's about 500 miles away from me.

Barring that, I'd like to work on what you've provided here, re-reading the Rippetoe Squat Manual, watch videos coaches have approved of, and get back once I think I've pulled my head out of my ass sufficiently. Sometimes I'm just dense and don't see obvious things properly until it just clicks, which is why I didn't pass that differential equations class until I took it for the third time and then got an A. If that's not reasonable, I'll stand down and not waste time for you guys.

starting strength coach development program
    Steve,

Is the SSC database correct in that there is no coach in Colorado, particularly the Denver/Boulder metro area? Nicholas Soleyn is the closest coach listed, and he's about 500 miles away from me.
    Currently that looks to be the case.

Barring that, I'd like to work on what you've provided here, re-reading the Rippetoe Squat Manual, watch videos coaches have approved of, and get back once I think I've pulled my head out of my ass sufficiently. Sometimes I'm just dense and don't see obvious things properly until it just clicks, which is why I didn't pass that differential equations class until I took it for the third time and then got an A. If that's not reasonable, I'll stand down and not waste time for you guys.
    Post away.