starting strength gym
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Difference between trap bar deadlift (off box + low handles) and squat

Default Difference between trap bar deadlift (off box + low handles) and squat

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    They are essentially the same movement with a similar ROM. What practical difference is there in terms of strength/explosiveness?

Spinal loading, hip drive, stretch reflex

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Spinal loading, hip drive, stretch reflex
    if you do it from a 4 inch box, the hip drive is there. Actually, it's more similar to a box squat imo since the stretch reflex is removed. Btw, which do you think would have more carryover to athletic endeavors? Instead of back squat + deadlift, the two main lower body lifts would be trap bar deadlift (off box) + deadlift + some added plyos to take care of that stretch reflex.
    Last edited by umairsemail; 12-25-2014 at 06:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by umairsemail View Post
    if you do it from a 4 inch box, the hip drive is there. Actually, it's more similar to a box squat imo since the stretch reflex is removed. Btw, which do you think would have more carryover to athletic endeavors? Instead of back squat + deadlift, the two main lower body lifts would be trap bar deadlift (off box) + deadlift + some added plyos to take care of that stretch reflex.
    Is there some reason you can't squat with the bar on your back?

Is there some reason you can't squat with the bar on your back?
    My shoulder isn't flexible enough to hold a normal barbell on my back due to a rotator cuff tear when i was a teen. I bought a safety squat bar as well, but it seems to workout my entire back to a huge degree; essentially my back is bottlenecking my lower body. For long term lower body power development, do you think there would be much difference if i choose the trap bar deadlift over the safety bar squat?

My shoulder isn't flexible enough to hold a normal barbell on my back due to a rotator cuff tear when i was a teen. I bought a safety squat bar as well, but it seems to workout my entire back to a huge degree; essentially my back is bottlenecking my lower body. For long term lower body power development, do you think there would be much difference if i choose the trap bar deadlift over the safety bar squat?
    I think a buffalo bar or cambered bar would be better than an SSB, and the trap bar is better in some ways and worse in others than the SSB.

I think a buffalo bar or cambered bar would be better than an SSB, and the trap bar is better in some ways and worse in others than the SSB.
    Why is that?

They are essentially the same movement with a similar ROM. What practical difference is there in terms of strength/explosiveness?
    I have an old Genuine Gerard Trap Bar with only handle height, and an Elite FTS Yoke Bar (SS Bar). They are two totally different movements.

Quote Originally Posted by melody View Post
    Why is that?
    Because I think the buffalo, cambered, and SSB give you the whole spinal loading component that the trap bar lacks, but the trap bar probably allows more weight to be moved than the SSB.

starting strength coach development program
    What's the benefit of spinal loading? Can't I workout my back with other exercises like deadlifts and weighted 45 degree back extensions?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast