starting strength gym

Thread: Training Question on Abdominal... Optimization?

Default Training Question on Abdominal... Optimization?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Gents,

I'm training LP and still progressing in 5lbs jumps on the lower body lifts and fractional jumps on the Press and BPress, increasing Chinup volume steadily (many sets of 3, fewer sets of 7-9 to hit 35 per workout), so on and so forth. The work sets are around 135/215/225/315 (squat was reset after injury, is now progressing alright but is barely higher than my Bench) and I know my numbers are sub-optimal, but I know my fitness is steadily rising in a much more sustainable and healthful way than military PT would grant...

That said, on our PRT we have 3 simple events, 1.5mi run, pushups, and crunch/curl-ups. I titrate more conditioning in when nearing test dates for the run, pushups are always an easy outstanding/max for me, but I usually hit low excellent in the ab exercise. I'm not actually strong on the squat so my abs are pretty shitty still, but will this deficiency disappear once I'm squatting 315 or more for sets of 5, or should I start doing GHRs and reverse sits and (...?) to combat this deficiency?

Hypothetically the stronger more athletic guy who nailed LP then TM then whatever elite program wins, but if you're stuck between LP and Intermediate and have other demands, is it better to get a little more specific to the abs in training?

Thanks for your input.

CC323

Default Question answered

This question was answered elsewhere by an SS Coach and makes this thread worth ignoring/deleting/whatever.

Here's the link:
    http://startingstrength.com/resource...65#post1029065