starting strength gym

Thread: what now?

Default what now?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I apologize for making this long. Been lifting for 3 years after 25 years of college athletics, bw movements and lots of running. I herniated my L4-L5 in later October 2010. Physical Therapist was great and got me back running and lifting. I was having tingling in varying parts of my legs during this time and he said it was actually a good thing I was feeling it and it slowly began to dissipate. PT released me to begin back slowly. I contacted you in Dec/Jan and your suggestion as far as getting back to dl'ing was to start with 3 x 5 until I hit 225, then to 2 x 5 until 275, then 1 x 5. You also told me to gain weight. I'm at 5'7" 170 lbs.

On March 3rd began 3 x 5 at 135 and have slowly worked my way up to 2 x 5 at 245. I was at 3 x 5 by 315 when I got hurt. I am still having tingling in my feet during times of the day and my hamstrings get tight near the end of the day. Like I said I have had tingling throughout my legs since the injury and it is lessening and happening less frequently however, I would have thought it would have disappeared by now. When I am warmed it is not a problem.

Any advice on where to go. I am still very hesitant to increase my dl because of the feelings in my legs and mentally I'm just afraid to get injured again. I'm a firefighter and need to be on my feet most of the day when I'm on as well as lift with my back quite often. I have somewhat been slowed by this b/c if I had a heavy lifting day at work I might miss my dl workout the next day. All my dl's are going up easy too, obviously b/c it's such a light weight.

All my other 5rm and 1rm lifts, except hang cleans and oh press which are right at the same plateau where I was, have increased since prior to my injury. My core lifts are:

bench - 3 x 5 rm 205 -----> 225
    overhead squat - 3 x 5 rm 160
    overhead press - 3 x 5 rm 155 -----> 155
    back squat - 3 x 5 rm 275 -----> 295
    hang clean - 3 x 5 rm 155 -----> 155

Btw, I just started the hot yoga. Only 2 days in and I've realized how extremely inflexible I am.

Are you doing situps and back extensions, of any kind?

occasionally back extensions and planks. for the most part no. i used to do tons of situps, crunches, leg raises, cherry pickers, etc. when i was younger. interesting to note that since i've begun the yoga my legs feel significantly better but my lower back is more sore.

If your back is bothering you and you have a history of back pathology, I'd recommend that you stop wiggling your back around for a while and see what happens.

http://startingstrength.com/articles/abs_rippetoe.pdf