starting strength gym

Thread: Tennis ball cue

Default Tennis ball cue

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    When using a tennis ball to learn the correct chin/neck relationship for the squat, should the trainee squat with the ball in position, not going up in weight until all reps are completed without dropping it, or merely practise holding it while standing? Thanks.

I cannot hold a tennis ball beneath my chin when I squat. If someone keeps their chin down and their neck neutral on all their reps, that is perfectly good.

What about people with a very strong tendency to lift their chins despite being told to keep them down/stare at the floor 4-5ft in front of them? Make them use a tennis ball on warmup sets to learn the feel and then keep cueing them on work sets?

Yes. That works nicely. Also give them a mark on the ground to look at.

As some of you may know, I was in Oakland recently. Tom drew a very useful mark on the ground for me to look at, which helped me focus despite the chaos of crossfit going on around me. Tom, maybe you can elaborate on the kind of mark you find most useful for this purpose?

Hey, since you guys are talking about gaze, I may as well ask: how wedded are you to the idea of focusing on a specific point on the floor or wall? I ask because when I lift I am very focused on technique and the physical sensations I am trying to reproduce in order to lift correctly. In other words, I focus on feeling knees out, tensing my torso musculature, using my ass to lift the weight, and so on. One consequence of this is that while I keep my cervical spine in the correct position, I don't manage to consciously focus on a point on the floor or wall. I have my head in the right position but my eyes are unfocused. I feel like trying to focus on a point, to consciously 'see' it, would detract from my concentration on the technique.

I exclude the bench press from this question since there it's obvious that the gaze is important for the bar path.

Thanks.

Is it coupon for free double meat at chipotle? It is isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Red Finn View Post
    Hey, since you guys are talking about gaze, I may as well ask: how wedded are you to the idea of focusing on a specific point on the floor or wall? I ask because when I lift I am very focused on technique and the physical sensations I am trying to reproduce in order to lift correctly. In other words, I focus on feeling knees out, tensing my torso musculature, using my ass to lift the weight, and so on. One consequence of this is that while I keep my cervical spine in the correct position, I don't manage to consciously focus on a point on the floor or wall. I have my head in the right position but my eyes are unfocused. I feel like trying to focus on a point, to consciously 'see' it, would detract from my concentration on the technique.

I exclude the bench press from this question since there it's obvious that the gaze is important for the bar path.

Thanks.
    You say that you "feel like" trying to focus on a point would distract you. Have you tried it? I've found it very helpful in my own training, and for those I coach.

Quote Originally Posted by mkgillman View Post
    Is it coupon for free double meat at chipotle? It is isn't it?
    Damn, you guys know me too well.

I noticed that i was looking down to much down when squatting. Reread ss and saw that you should use a point 4-5 feet infront of you. Ive got a point now at 4 feet from the back of my feet. But as you lower yourself and the point is at the same place your neck moves slightly up when you move down. I suppose this is ok? Otherwise i could use a line

starting strength coach development program
    Let your eyes track the spot and keep your head still.