starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift form check

Default Deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi Coaches and SS Community,

First post. Lurking for a while.

45 yrs old, 5' 7", ~ 181 lbs

Need a form check on the deadlift (320 lbs x 7).

I find lumbar extension (chest up, to trigger it) a very significant challenge. Seems like I'm hitting a wall every time I set it. I've been told that I have a flat back (and flat ass to go with it). I can easily sit flat againt a wall. Like, decades ago when I was a kid in school, during gym the kid next to me said: "Whoa! How'd you do that? There's no light between any part of your back and the wall!". I wondered if that was good, not knowing that deadlifts were in my future.

I've read SSBBT3, MOMG, Strong Enough?, and am working through PPST3 (still early in the book).

Thanks,

Vince

You are almost doing a stiff legged deadlift there. Your knees need to bend a little and your shins should be in touch with the bar. Then, drag the bar all the way up the legs. Check the sticky for details.

I predict that if you do the above and focus on squeezing the bar off the ground instead of trying to jerk it off the ground that you will be in good shape.

Op I deadlifted like you for a long time. I follow the "perfect setup every time." The problem with that description is the part where it says your shins should be about 1 inch from the bar. I am a bit of a motor moron, however, I think there is too much variability in this metric. I can feel when my weight is balanced over the middle of my foot. I can maintain the weight in the middle of my foot and simultaneously change the angle of my shins by at least 15 degrees by changing the position of my hips and shoulders. For me, this cue to be 1" from the bar puts me too close to the bar because as I bend over to look down at my shins, my shoulders go forward and my hips go back. So 1" while I'm looking at it is not 1" if I am standing bolt upright. So, you need to be aware of this if you are using the distance from the bar cue. I dramatically fixed my deadlift form by measuring and drawing a chalk line on my shoes at the middle my feet and placing the bar over those lines. Whereas before, my knees would be at the back of my elbows, this puts my knees just inside my elbows. I am stronger off the floor because I am actually using my quads and my back is not rounding like it was because it is in a less horizontal position. Just be sure not to overcorrect and start hips too low. The sweet spot is where the bar breaks from the floor.

Thanks Tom. I'll carefully reread the sticky again. I am trying to be careful with my setup, and think my shins are ~ 1" from the bar when I'm standing vertical. Bar is usually/always over the knot in the laces. Guess that needs to be checked again.

Vince

Quote Originally Posted by rumblefish View Post
    Op I deadlifted like you for a long time. I follow the "perfect setup every time." The problem with that description is the part where it says your shins should be about 1 inch from the bar. I am a bit of a motor moron, however, I think there is too much variability in this metric. I can feel when my weight is balanced over the middle of my foot. I can maintain the weight in the middle of my foot and simultaneously change the angle of my shins by at least 15 degrees by changing the position of my hips and shoulders. For me, this cue to be 1" from the bar puts me too close to the bar because as I bend over to look down at my shins, my shoulders go forward and my hips go back. So 1" while I'm looking at it is not 1" if I am standing bolt upright. So, you need to be aware of this if you are using the distance from the bar cue. I dramatically fixed my deadlift form by measuring and drawing a chalk line on my shoes at the middle my feet and placing the bar over those lines. Whereas before, my knees would be at the back of my elbows, this puts my knees just inside my elbows. I am stronger off the floor because I am actually using my quads and my back is not rounding like it was because it is in a less horizontal position. Just be sure not to overcorrect and start hips too low. The sweet spot is where the bar breaks from the floor.
    This could be it. I might be too close to the bar (at ~ 1"). Distance from the bar is my major visual cue. Sometimes I rock forward and back on my feet to feel the center of gravity. But I don't think the setup changes (much) in response to that.

Thank you.