starting strength gym

Thread: Bicep tendon pain after benching

Default Bicep tendon pain after benching

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi guys,
    I get a pain in the front of my shoulder day after benching. During benching everything is fine. If I go heavy it lasts about 2-3 days and then goes away usually. I feel it in both of my shoulders, but more in the left one. It also happens after I do pushups. I went to a doctor, but he neglected it all together and said my shoulders are fine and that the long bicep tendon hurts after overuse. I also find my pec minor sore after every bench session. Have anyone experienced that?

Overhead press feels fine, though I often have pain from benching in my left shoulder, while doing it. I have tried arching harder to limit the ROM and I have also narrowed my grip, so that my pinkies are now on the inner side of the rings. I would really appreciate any suggestions on how to fix that, as my presses really suffer from it.

This sounds like impingement. Did your doctor do an impingement test? Can you post a video of your bench? Take a straight on and a side oblique video if you can.

Hi,
    here is a video of me benching. I see that I've gripped the bar a little bit more on the right side, but that's not what I usually do. My doctor did some tests on the shoulder, but mostly due to rhomboid pain at that time, which also comes and goes quite a lot to me. I might go and see a doctor again, but they usually just say rest for 2 months and it will go away, but it never does really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFLJ...ature=youtu.be

I'd appreciate comments on what I should fix with my form and also how to deal with impingement if it can be related. Thanks in advance.

Have you been doing any accessory exercises like dips? Are far as correcting your bench form first widen your grip bringing each of your hands an inch further out. Next bring the bar down an inch higher on your chest. I know that was not a work weight but during working sets take a big deep breath at the top and retighten up your position on the bench in-between each repetition. There are no major red flags in the posted set but I would advise making these changes and posting a work set. Sometimes things change when the weight gets heavy.