Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hip flexor pain AFTER workout

marcf Guest

Default Hip flexor pain AFTER workout

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    Hi Rip,

I'm 35, 6'1", 235lbs, and I've been doing the program since April. I've been really beat up and have had some serious aches and pains, requiring multiple resets, but one thing that I just can't seem to understand is my hip pain. Sometimes my hips hurt badly when I squat, and sometimes they don't hurt much at all--but whether they hurt or not during my workout, one thing is certain: they will hurt a few hours later when I've had time to cool down from my workout (e.g. I'd go out to eat at a restaurant post-workout, and after sitting for about an hour, I'd stand up and my hips will feel very stiff and be in pain). This pain will usually last a day or more.

Here is a video of my squat: 270x5 squat - YouTube

I know I don't have the best form in the world, but I can't see anything egregious enough to cause this level of pain to last for so long. I've tried narrowing my stance, making it wider, pointing my toes out more, pointing them closer to straight ahead, etc. No dice. It's held up my squat progress so much that I'm actually bench pressing just about as much as I squat.

The pain is right around where the sartorius and tensor fasciae latae meet the ASIS. I can feel the pain by palpating that area, and also by stretching my hip (forcing the hip into extension with glute contraction, or by pulling my knee backward).

Thanks for any insight. For now, I'm just going to suck it up and keep at it.

If only this had been addressed in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Wait, you wrote a BOOK!?!?!?

marcf Guest

The only thing in the book that comes close is knee slide, and like I said, I don't think it's bad enough to cause this much pain for so long. And in most cases, knee slide isn't present.

He does seem to stop his knees well before the bottom and mostly not let them slide further forward...

I'm confused, the title of the thread says hip flexor pain. The body of the thread describes TFL and sartorius pain. So which is it? I would not describe sartorius pain as "hip flexor" pain. The

The knee slide progresses toward the end of the set, and this is obviously not the set/s that caused the problem.

marcf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Harlin View Post
    I'm confused, the title of the thread says hip flexor pain. The body of the thread describes TFL and sartorius pain. So which is it? I would not describe sartorius pain as "hip flexor" pain. The
    The sartorius and tensor fasciae latae are part of the muscle groups that flex the hip. Or should I crack open an anatomy book for you?

The knee slide progresses toward the end of the set, and this is obviously not the set/s that caused the problem.
    Yes, obviously. Because for months my squats wouldn't hurt, but the hip pain would come a few hours after my workout.

And while that wasn't a particularly painful set, it is my heaviest set of squats to date, and also my most recent. I would think that if my form were really breaking down, it would be on my heaviest set.

Here is another recent set of squats I recorded that I vividly remember as being totally painless, and yet my hips were aching like hell about an hour or two after my workout. If my knee slide is so bad that it's obviously causing my hip pain, I'll just shut up.

245 squat - YouTube

Once the inflammation is embedded, it's subject to irritation from lower levels of abuse than that which caused it.

marcf Guest

starting strength coach development program
    Once the inflammation is embedded, it's subject to irritation from lower levels of abuse than that which caused it.
    Would the remedy be to continue and not fuck up form to see if it goes away, or give it some rest?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast