starting strength gym

Thread: LSD for eccentric ventricular hypertrophy?

Default LSD for eccentric ventricular hypertrophy?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Rip,

From reading SS and this forum, it appears that you don't recommend LSD-style workouts, favoring intervals/metcon workouts for conditioning. The main point I gathered is that LSD causes muscle catabolism. However, I've also read a few web pages that say that different types of training induce different cardiac adaptions: 160+ bpm causes concentric hypetrophy (thickening of the heart walls), and 120-150bpm causes eccentric hypertrophy (the heart, mostly the left ventricle, stretches out to have a larger volume). I also read about a study that said that the adaptations from a tabata workout plan don't continue to increase after the first month, with the implication being that HIIT is most beneficial 1-2 months before a big event for an athlete, but that LSD should be performed at all times, because even though it's adaptations are more gradual, they continue to increase for long periods of time.

I'm wondering what your thoughts are on the above theories. Does LSD has any merit? Or is it that it's cons outweigh it's pros during a program like SS?

Thanks,
    Miles

PS: I am currently doing the SS novice program as described in your book, except without as large of a calorie surplus (I'm 30 years old, 210lbs, ~15% body fat). I've discontinued my LSD runs since beginning SS, but am skiing about 1 day a week. I'd like to add some conditioning workouts - probably HIIT while I'm doing SS. I am considering going back to LSD workouts after that, concurrently with a 'maintenance' phase of lifting. I'll probably plateau by spring time, and that's when the weather is better for hiking/running/biking anyway.

Why is it necessary for me to restate my position here?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Why is it necessary for me to restate my position here?
    I'm unclear on what you think of the theory that LSD produces "eccentric ventricular hypertrophy".
    1) you've never heard of it
    2) you know all about it, but think it's a bullshit theory
    3) you agree with the theory, but think the downsides (muscle catabolism) outweighs the benefits, so you don't advocate it.

I've seen this quote from you in various places on the web:
    The only time LSD (long slow distance) is necessary is if your going to compete in a sport that requires it. It is far inferior to CrossFit-type metcon for producing an increase in VO2 max, it interferes with power and strength production, it can be quite catabolic and immune-suppressive in high doses, it destroys muscle mass, and the people that do it usually wear silly clothes. Read the stuff on the CrossFit website regarding this, and you will learn many good, important things.
    The part bolded makes me think you either haven't heard of

I found a link that discusses the theory further, in case you are interested:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/tra...html#more-2774

In particular:
    And studies clearly show that, in the short-term, interval training improves VO2 max far more rapidly than the steady state methods described in previous parts of this series. This is also where a lot of the claims for the superiority of interval training is coming from. People, misunderstanding what VO2 max represents, see that short interval sessions improve VO2 max and such in a very short time and conclude that it’s the best way to improve aerobic markers.

I've also seen studies showing ventricular (and I think septum too) hypertrophy from resistance training too (obviously not the pathological kind). I think due to Valsalva related pressure increases. If it's only cardiac hypertrophy you're after...

Quote Originally Posted by KeyserSoze View Post
    I'm unclear on what you think of the theory that LSD produces "eccentric ventricular hypertrophy".
    1) you've never heard of it
    2) you know all about it, but think it's a bullshit theory
    3) you agree with the theory, but think the downsides (muscle catabolism) outweighs the benefits, so you don't advocate it.
    4.) I am not interested enough in it to have a useful opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    4.) I am not interested enough in it to have a useful opinion.

If this were on Facebook I could 'Like" this comment

Default Lsd

starting strength coach development program
    I came to this thread expecting to see new research on how LSD (acid) is actually anabolic and leads to hypertrophy. I am disappointed.