starting strength gym

Thread: Press check v1.0? 2.0? 1.5?

Default Press check v1.0? 2.0? 1.5?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Last set from today.

http://youtu.be/PjF1V9IOUy0

I'm not sure what to think. Could be worse, could be better.

Thanks for looking.

pcknshvl,

These do not look too bad to me. It will take some time to transition to the new pressing style if you have been using the strict press for a while. I think you just need to focus more on using your hips to initiate the pull so you get more out of them. Having said that, I think you are timing the press pretty well. Think about trying to hit your nose on the way up, and the way down. Your bar path looks like it may be drifting forward a little on a few of the reps. Also, I think you could shrug up a bit harder on the lockout.

Keep up the good work,

JP

Thanks, John.

Yes, the shrug up seems to cause me the most problems. I think it's related in part to my posture--a slight kyphotic curve. Whether that's anatomical or just bad posture remains to be seen. I'm working on it. There's a thread about it here, as it relates to my dead lift. Spar had me post a vid of my press, too. This thread was useful, too. Justin over at 70's Big is working on part three of his shoulder health article--I'm looking forward to that.

I suspect I may have to deload, again, to work on this. At the top, when I lock my arms out, it just doesn't feel like anything can move any more upwards.