starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift form check

Post Deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    First of all: Hello!
    Secondly I know that in this video my head is not shown on the lockout and I'm truly sorry about that. I won't have any chance getting a video of me training again any time soon though so I chose to post it anyways.

Thanks for the help!

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

The set up is all screwy on the deadlift, and while you're meditating before the first rep the bar is moving all over the place.

Follow these steps in order:
    (1) Approach the bar. Shins should be about 1 inch away.

(2) Bend over and grab the bar, without breaking your knees. Don't move the bar.

(3) Break your knees to the bar. Don't move the bar. Spread your knees to just inside your elbows. Don't move the bar.

(4) Pull your chest up as much as you can. Don't drop your hips.

(5) Pull.

Because you mix all the steps together, your hips begin the lift far too low. Then when your hips shoot up, you lose your thoracic extension. Do the steps in order, and I imagine the pull will feel shorter, easier, and more efficient in general.

Hey thanks for the reply!
    Think this one is better, I felt my hamstring participating more in the movement:

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

It's really hard to tell much from a single rep, so I'd suggest doing sets of five in the future.

That said, I see a lot of improvement this time--it certainly looks better. However, you really need to focus on pulling your chest up before the pull. Note how (1) your chest jerks up before the pull, and (2) your upper back looks a little rounded throughout. Really focusing on chest up (step 4) before the pull will fix this.

Also, try to get more of a side view if you can on the next filming--it's a little easier for the deadlift.