starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Form check request on the big three

Default Form check request on the big three

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I am hoping to get some tips on my form - I have been hacking away at this since 2010 off and on and from now on its going to be ON. Never had a form check of any kind so I want to see if I can get steered in the right direction here. Some nagging hip pain has been slowing me down of late. I think its my left piriformis that is hurting.

Squat- currently 260lbs x 5. Not sure if my set up is very good. I feel most comfortable with what feels like a very narrow stance. Video shows 225lbs and 245lbs. http://youtu.be/M6cHQoP-lvI

Bench - currently 180lbs x 3. Never feel like I have a clue how to transfer what I've read in SS on set up into how to actually do it. Getting better slowly though.
    http://youtu.be/c4XSVwLjI34

Deadlift - currently 365lbs x 5. Always felt able to rip whatever weight off the ground but after video-ing my form I think it is pretty greasy after all. Video is 275 and 315.
    http://youtu.be/Z6nwHwMn5F0

Thanks again for all your work. Much respect.

Josh
    Last edited by jdavid; 02-15-2013 at 05:27 PM.

this is a bump after this got moved here from the Q&A

Oh my god, straighten your back on the deadlift before your spine falls off. Seriously.

I'll let actual coaches take it from here.

Thanks for the constructive advice.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to come off as a dick. Re-read the SS book on deadlift form.

Shoes

What do you mean shoes?

Quote Originally Posted by danradin View Post
    I'm sorry, I didn't mean to come off as a dick. Re-read the SS book on deadlift form.
    Fair enough. I am reading it again now. Hope I can set my lower back better without too much need for big mobility changes.

Hard to tell with the black on black, but is your ass coming off the bench during your press?

For your deads, instead of starting at the top and working your way down during setup, try dropping your hips lower like you're going to squat, set your back, and then bring up your hips into start position.

Squat: Your knees are clearly coming too far forward. Try the TUBOW to help with this. You're also kind of bouncy/wiggly at the top. Tighten up. Whether it's 100 pounds or a thousand pounds, treat it the same.

Bench: It looks like you're lifting yourself (especially your butt) off the bench. Keep contact. Also, you need to adjust the bench and or safety pins - the bar shouldn't touch the pins.

Deadlift: Your back is way too rounded. While you're generally kind of loose looking in the dead and you're rolling the bar around a lot, the rounded back is really bad and you need to address it.

Generally, I think the weight you're moving is o.k. for form on the squat and bench. However, I think you're going to need to knock a couple dozen pounds off of the dead to fix your back.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by strideknight View Post
    Hard to tell with the black on black, but is your ass coming off the bench during your press?

For your deads, instead of starting at the top and working your way down during setup, try dropping your hips lower like you're going to squat, set your back, and then bring up your hips into start position.
    Yeah my ass is on the bench but not solidly, so in a way those are cheated reps. In the sense that Im using too much legs to the point it is lifting my hips up somewhat. Thats a good suggestion as for deadlifts. I tried that yesterday on light weights and it made a lot of sense. Ive learned the other, round back way over the months but I think with a medium deload I can re-train myself to use the proper hip set up and form.

Quote Originally Posted by jillingworth View Post
    Squat: Your knees are clearly coming too far forward. Try the TUBOW to help with this. You're also kind of bouncy/wiggly at the top. Tighten up. Whether it's 100 pounds or a thousand pounds, treat it the same.

Bench: It looks like you're lifting yourself (especially your butt) off the bench. Keep contact. Also, you need to adjust the bench and or safety pins - the bar shouldn't touch the pins.

Deadlift: Your back is way too rounded. While you're generally kind of loose looking in the dead and you're rolling the bar around a lot, the rounded back is really bad and you need to address it.

Generally, I think the weight you're moving is o.k. for form on the squat and bench. However, I think you're going to need to knock a couple dozen pounds off of the dead to fix your back.
    All very good suggestions. I appreciate it. Its true about the safety pins -- I have to raise my bench because sometimes the bar hits them and that is a major blow to concentration/focus etc.

Thanks a lot for the advice I think I will drop a few pounds on all exercises and try to stay tighter and use more correct form. Better form at the same weight is a form of progress and I have to remember that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast