starting strength gym

Thread: Losing Weight vs Getting Stronger

Default Losing Weight vs Getting Stronger

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hello,
    trying to get my Dad (68, 6', ~325lbs) to start lifting to get healthier. His new wife (not my mom) has convinced him he's got to do something...and that something is walking around the mall really fast (F.M.L!!!)

Most of his adult life he was a fairly fit 6' 190-200lbs, until he hit about 52/53, had a couple knee and feet issues (broken bones long since healed...to the point that though he's +100lbs, he doesn't limp at all).

Looking for ideas/arguments/etc to use to help get him into a damn gym instead of the mall.

Thank you in advance for any insights.

Dave

Should add that if this would be better answered over at Greysteel, I can do that. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by David.M.Allen View Post
    Hello,
    trying to get my Dad (68, 6', ~325lbs) to start lifting to get healthier. His new wife (not my mom) has convinced him he's got to do something...and that something is walking around the mall really fast (F.M.L!!!)

Most of his adult life he was a fairly fit 6' 190-200lbs, until he hit about 52/53, had a couple knee and feet issues (broken bones long since healed...to the point that though he's +100lbs, he doesn't limp at all).

Looking for ideas/arguments/etc to use to help get him into a damn gym instead of the mall.

Thank you in advance for any insights.

Dave

The Barbell Prescription: Strength Training for Life After 40: Jonathon M Sullivan, Andy Baker, Nassim Nicholas Taleb: 9780982522776: Amazon.com: Books

The first half of this book is great for just this purpose. Also Jonathan Sullivans videos are great.

It might be easier to get him into a "home gym" especially if it's yours. I've gotten a couple relatives to lift that way.

Good luck!

Thank you!