starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lifting at a crossfit gym

Default lifting at a crossfit gym

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Have any of you ever done that? Aparently theres a crossfit building in my town, and its closer than my current. They probably have will squat racks too...

Do you let people come in just to lift? Or do you think they would expect me to do their stuff? I guess I'd have to call to ultimately find out but wondering if anyones got experience with them.

The two local to be "asked" me to do their required classes but, after that, do whatever I wanted. I couldn't justify 125 per month to 20 per month to work out in the same cage almost. Plus, my current gym is 24/7.

Quote Originally Posted by MattJ.D. View Post
    Have any of you ever done that? Aparently theres a crossfit building in my town, and its closer than my current. They probably have will squat racks too...

Do you let people come in just to lift? Or do you think they would expect me to do their stuff? I guess I'd have to call to ultimately find out but wondering if anyones got experience with them.
    Affiliates vary wildly, but what mwhities says is pretty typical, especially the part about cost. Crossfit gyms cost anywhere from $100 - $180 a month around where I live, which is a generally lot higher than a regular gym where powerlifters might be working out at.

Also, be advised that most Crossfit affiliates don't have squat racks; almost all of them use squat stands so you're either going to have to get spotters there or learn how to dump that missed rep off your back. You might also run into problems with them not having bars with center knurling. Benches are also rare, since the bench press is not a common Crossfit thing.

WOW. I never knew Crossfit gyms were that expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by SQUAT_316 View Post
    My friend and his wife pay $180 a month each to go to one. It's actually a pretty decent affiliate; a lot more of the people involved there are actually worried about performance than appearance. My friend pulled a 500 deadlift and is squatting around 400 for a reasonable number of reps. He's the strongest person there but they're not trying to turn him into a metcon machine. They also have classes specifically to do things like learn powerlifting and weightlifting.

But it's $180 a month and if I remember correctly this only gets them in there three days a week and everything else is extra. Their dues together is a car payment.

Quote Originally Posted by SQUAT_316 View Post
    me either, and I don't have a problem dumping weight I know how to well, the current gym I lift at is a commercial gym. Doesn't even have a squat rack and have these hard rubber plates, so I dread the day I'll have to dump weight there. They all bitched me for doing actual deadlifts and the banging of the plates when I lowered it, I could lower it down slowly but that wastes energy and makes the set slower.

No doubt the equipment is top notch, (Rogue probably) but it seems cheaper to set up a home gym. If possible. I live in an apt. and have the 2nd bedroom with a squat rack. Yeah, my car payment is excatly 300 a month. I guess it would be worth it if one learns how to powerlift or weightlift, but 180 a month would be too much for me. Tough one Matt.

I could set up a home gym, but Idk were I'll be in a year or so. Like if I move out when I transfer to a real university and rent a house with friends. Idk were I would keep all the stuff

bunch of us on here train at a crossfit affiliate. we do so in a class setting, but the gym also rents platform time to straight up lifters who want to lift. its hourly, something in the 15-20 range/hr.

they are scaling back on that bec the box is so popular, but that may not be an issue where you are.

as a side note, I am surprised with folks still comparing gym membership prices to crossfit prices.

starting strength coach development program
    The reason my gym exists, in part, is because I got tired of driving 600 miles a week to train at the two CrossFit affiliates that would let me lift on my own. There are two affiliates in Asheville. One doesn't have open gym times, but they would occasionally let me come lift during the WOD if there was room. The other affiliate had open gym, then took it away, then added back just two slots during the week. There aren't any other gyms in town with bumper plates, and my basement and garage only have 7' ceilings, so I had limited options. Driving 600 miles a week was a short term solution while I got my place up and running.

But, I was paying $80 a month just to lift twice a week at the one affiliate, and that was a discounted rate because my husband was also a member there. Their regular membership was $190 a month.

So, it really does depend on the affiliate. I travel around to lift with other weightlifters quite a bit and it is usually at a CrossFit affiliate, but it is also almost always something that involves us having "special" approval.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast