starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power Clean goal weight?

Cool Power Clean goal weight?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I know whats considered a good weight for some exercises, i.e. 200/300/400/500 etc. Is there such a consensus for a strength goal for power cleans? And yes, I did search the threads prior to posting. Thanks!

I know in one thread, Rip mentioned 60% of your deadlift. He may have changed his opinion since then.

That's rediculous. I'm happy keeping it above my press weight. Of course, my technique sucks, so I'm a ways away from expecting to hit 60% of my deadlift weight. I might be good with 50% for some doubles though.

To be honest, that might have been his criteria for a 'decent' power clean.
    You can set the bar as low as you like, but if you're talking about /goals/ then 60% is as good a number as any.

Also, 50% for doubles is not a bad lift, especially if you think your technique sucks.

60% of your deadlift when you get a serious deadlift may not be possible. A good goal for a 500 deadlift might be a 300 power clean, but 275 should be doable and 250 definitely doable. But a 300 clean is a good goal (not necessarily power clean).

Use strength standards as a guide or what you should expect as compared to your other lifts.

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLi...Standards.html

Quote Originally Posted by borzoi06 View Post
    That's rediculous. I'm happy keeping it above my press weight. Of course, my technique sucks, so I'm a ways away from expecting to hit 60% of my deadlift weight. I might be good with 50% for some doubles though.
    You should work on your technique.

It is not fun to suck at things.

I'd be beyond ecstatic if I could power clean half my deadlift.

Quote Originally Posted by TBone View Post
    You should work on your technique.

It is not fun to suck at things.
    I do. Typically on days I'm having trouble with the heavy cleans I dial it down to work the form/technique. I tend to want to pull the bar with my arms when it gets heavier. That doesn't work so well. But when I'm having a good day I can snap the bar up without using the arms. I'm still working the muscle memory part for the heavier ones. I've gotten 180 for a triple, but I keep psyching myself out on the rack when I do multiple sets.

starting strength coach development program
    i don't think i have very good technique but it keeps getting a little better just by doing them. i wish i would've video'd my last cleans. i'm doing hang cleans and they're in sets of 5 reps. man those are bears when you get to the 4th and 5th rep you really need to explode. perhaps i should be doing sets with reps of 3. oh, by the way, i'm only at 3 sets of 155 lbs x 5. i weight about 165 lbs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast