starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beginner friendly strongman contest in NC

Exclamation Beginner friendly strongman contest in NC

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    The Strongest Man st the Y will be held March 26, 2011 at the Salisbury, NC YMCA. This contest started in 2009, there is a Spring and Fall contest each year. If you have never competed before this is the perfect introduction to strongman. It's a non NAS sanctioned event, entry fee is only $25 and first place in each of 4 weight classes is $250 cash. Events:

-bus pull
    -atlas stones (probably 170, 235, and 280lbs)
    -circus dumbbell press
    -fingal fingers
    -prowler sled push

Silverback Strength Equipment will be one of the sponsors- cambered squat bars, push sleds, atlas stones, and 2" axles will be available to try out and buy the day of the contest.

Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Strong...08665365855375

Media coverage http://www.salisburypost.com/Area/08...an-competition

If it was closer to Raleigh, I'd come watch...

I am too small for strongman unfortunately.... 5'7'' 180lbs. I sorta wish they had a sub-180lbs weight class strongman compeition.

There are 4 weight classes:
    < 175 lbs
    176 - 210
    211 - 250
    > 251 lbs

Keep in mind that this is a novice level contest, so no need to worry about your size. Last Fall we had a guy who was 5'7" 135lbs compete.

Interesting, I may have to cut weight and go out for the <175 class. Is this an annual thing?

2X/year, Spring & Fall. If this is your first contest then don't worry about cutting weight, just come out and have fun, meet some cool guys and enjoy yourself!

I live in Kernersville, about 45 min from Salisbury. This is very tempting. I have wanted to try a novice strongman contest for a long time but it has never been big in this area. Only problem is I'll be in the middle of a 21 week firefighter academy that is heavy on physical training mon-friday, not sure how I will feel on the weekends. I'll definately keep this in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by JPC View Post
    I live in Kernersville, about 45 min from Salisbury. This is very tempting. I have wanted to try a novice strongman contest for a long time but it has never been big in this area. Only problem is I'll be in the middle of a 21 week firefighter academy that is heavy on physical training mon-friday, not sure how I will feel on the weekends. I'll definately keep this in mind.
    Just treat the strongman contest like active recovery. You'll have fun and meet some new friends.

I went to the one last September and had an awesome time. It's a good beginner event. Lot's of good people encouraging each other.

One of the contest sponsors is giving away (shipping included) a 2" axle on Sunday, Jan 29, details on how to enter here (family and work safe) http://www.facebook.com/pages/Silver...03864983017667

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    I went to the one last September and had an awesome time. It's a good beginner event. Lot's of good people encouraging each other.
    I hope you can make it again this Spring!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast