starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lifting on a sailboat

Default Lifting on a sailboat

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    In about 5 years, I will be moving onboard and travelling the world. One of the many reasons I started training was to get strong and be able to handle the workload. I will be about 60 when I hit the water for good. I wish to continue with resistance training, but lugging plates, bar and a cage on a 45 foot vessel is not an option. I suppose a few plates and doing boy weight plus plates exercises could work.

Any one out there have other ideas?

Thanks.

Whale lifting.

As a sailing man myself, I don't really see a solution for you. Squatting heavy is right out.

The only thing that comes to mind is rigging up some kind of heavy resistance-band solution. Then maybe pay as you go for any real gym in port. Bodyweight pullups, pushups, and dips when at sea.

Isnt strength training on a ship a no brainer?

Think of the biggest martime/naval cliché...

Rope & cargo net climbing!

This has been brought up before Rip. You're going to find some way to lift on dry land.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodninja666 View Post
    As a sailing man myself, I don't really see a solution for you. Squatting heavy is right out.

The only thing that comes to mind is rigging up some kind of heavy resistance-band solution. Then maybe pay as you go for any real gym in port. Bodyweight pullups, pushups, and dips when at sea.
    That's about what I see. Hmmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    Isnt strength training on a ship a no brainer?

Think of the biggest martime/naval cliché...

Rope & cargo net climbing!
    Have you seen a modern yacht ? Most sheets and lines rigged to the cockpit. Climbing the mast is about it and that's usually done with jumars or bosun's chairs or variants. Most of the live aboards I've talked to are into yoga, stretching, some aerobics and virtually nothing about strength training.

Maybe better than nothing would be some modified smith machine? We had that on our boat in the Navy and it worked pretty well under slow rolls because if it got to heavy you could just roll and hook the "barbell".

Perhaps a heavy weighted vest to make those pushups, pullups and dips more effective... Progression could even be possible.

starting strength coach development program
    depends probably on what sort of a boat you are on. Get the books from Christopher Sommers - Building the Gymnastic Body and Pavel Tsatsouline - the naked warrior, get some rings and make some planches. And you could do a pretty full range of exercises. Only problem is what I can think of being able to squat and deadlift. I'd say try to find some heavy stuff to lift, think strongman style. Be creative ... if that helps. Hope you'll find a way to lift

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast