starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: is there a point to curls?

Default is there a point to curls?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    If I'm not trying to get my arms to look a certain way is there any point in spending time on curls? If it's a meaningful assistance exercise to the weighted chin or any other lifts then I'm ok adding them, but I'm not looking to join the biceps team. I haven't done curls more than two or three times in the last year yet I can't complain about how my biceps look.

Just asking, because lots of people seem to do them here.

This is covered in "THE BOOK" and PP2 I believe.

I don't do curls. I find that nothing works the biceps better than chins, but chins are hard, so most people would rather do curls.

Given your level of training, I don't think you need curls yet. Any energy spent there should have been spent working a set of 5 on one of the main lifts.

Or if your elbows are cranky, or if you're a contact sports athlete, or if you're a competitive lifter.

Thanks guys,

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Ward View Post
    This is covered in "THE BOOK" and PP2 I believe.
    Briefly and derisively -- he covers form for curls "because you're going to do it anyway" -- he doesn't expound on their role in a program.

I find that nothing works the biceps better than chins, but chins are hard, so most people would rather do curls.
    I do 10-12 bodyweight and I can complete 5 rapid-succession singles (touchdown < 2 seconds) with 45 lbs for chins (and I weigh about 200) so I feel like chins give me plenty.

Given your level of training, I don't think you need curls yet.
    Well yeah, that's the question. For bench (max 235 x 1, 215 x 5), press (165x1, 150x5x3), and DL (370x1, 345x5) I'm intermediate at this point -- and I do a split routine with a 5x5 volume and a grind out 10-15 total reps intensity day for these lifts. With squat and PC it's been mainly mastering the form that has kept me from switching to an intermediate template. So at this early intermediate stage I am mixing in assistance exercises -- GMs, GHR, high rep presses, close grip bench, dips -- basically I feel like there is a role for assistance. I've left curls out, but just didn't know if there is a programmatic reason that that might be unwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Or if your elbows are cranky, or if you're a contact sports athlete, or if you're a competitive lifter.
    Cranky elbows I've got...

It's important to work your biceps for the reasons Jordan noted above, and curls take a lot less time and energy at the end of a workout when I'm already tired or when I don't want to work my upper back. They have their place.

Quote Originally Posted by OCG View Post
    It's important to work your biceps for the reasons Jordan noted above, and curls take a lot less time and energy at the end of a workout when I'm already tired or when I don't want to work my upper back. They have their place.
    Agreed. And they make your arms look good.

Having non cranky elbows can only do good things for your presses. Having huge arms can only do good things for your presses.

Because someone should post this:

Thank you, Tom.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    Because someone should post this:

That's me, actually, just so you recognize me when I'm in the Bay Area in Oct.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast