starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie needs advice on power cages

Default Newbie needs advice on power cages

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    After about two months on starting strength, I've come to the conclusion that my local gyms half-rack is probably dangerous, and so I'm looking to buy a power cage. I've looked at Rip's blueprints, searched these forums, and searched bodybuilding forums, and I'm still unsure what to buy. I've got a good 7'4 ceiling, so I don't need to worry too much about height. My budget is from $400 to $600, and I'd rather not use $600 because I still need to buy a bench (already have a bar and plates).

I'm somewhat concerned about fit, as I'm just under 6'5 with long arms and long legs. The problem is, I have no experience with these, so I'm not sure how a cage of given dimensions will fit.
    I'm, obviously, also concerned with durability. I'd like to be able to use it for lifts of a little over 500 pounds (safely).

With that in mind, I'm considering four options, but am more than open to new suggestions. Option 1 is Rip's power cage plans, which is built like a tank, but on the high end of the budget. Outside of that, I'm considering the following 3 cages.

New York barbell C-92563. I like the price, and the size seems good, but I'm somewhat concerned about the strength. Does anyone have any experience with this and using heavy weights?
    http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/92563.html

The Texas strength systems model. It seems durable, and has precise spacing, but it's fairly expensive, especially after shipping.
    http://www.texasstrengthsystems.com/powerracks.html

The powerline ppr200x. I'm concerned about the strength/durability. I can get it locally. Price is under $400. I'm not sure it offers anything over the New York barbell cage, even though it costs more.
    http://www.samsclub.com/sams/powerli...rack/174319.ip Have any of you used this model with heavy weights successfully?

If you think there are better models out there I should consider, please say so.

Thanks in advance.

PS
    I'm monitoring e-bay and craigslist, but haven't found anything there yet.

Don't have exp. with any of those, but what's wrong w/ the half rack? Does it not have safeties?

Also, 7' 4" ceilings are clearly not going to work for presses for someone your size.

How much weight are you lifting?

I don't have any exp. with these models.

If you plan on training long term then for the sake of a few hundred dollars its probably a better idea to get a decent rack.

at 6'5, width can be an issue.

I'm 6'7, my lifting buddy is 6'3. We both pinch our hands sometimes racking the bar on some lifts in a Rogue R-3.

Internal width is 43" Even having a slightly wider 44" would be great.
    Anything less might be really problematic.

Keep that in mind when deciding.

I think the texas strength system one is better than the other options you've listed. I've tried none of them but have looked into the texas strength systems before. I'm guessing it's pretty solid and probably worth the extra expense.

If you're looking at that price why not consider the rip rack too?

Rouge and muscledriverusa have reasonable options as well.

• NYBB: I have the sumo version and I'm pretty sure they're rated for 1000 lbs
    • PPR200X: This rack has 3 inch hole spacing which is abnormally large compared to its competition
    • TSS: I've met the owner of this company (Wes) and he uses the same racks for the UTSA powerlifting team. A little spendy though, probably more than a regular person needs.

Thanks for the advice guys, I appreciate it.

Also, 7' 4" ceilings are clearly not going to work for presses for someone your size.
    The ceiling in question has a bunch of wooden support beams on top of some steel i-beams and they are spaced out. My measurement was at the bottom of these support beams. I can press by aiming the barbell around the support beams.

One possibility I was considering was looping heavy-duty chains over one of these i-beams, and setting the bottom of the loop to just below my parallel squat. Anyone tried a rig like that? The only disadvantage I can think of compared to a cage is that I'd have to start from the bottom of the squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley View Post
    • NYBB: I have the sumo version and I'm pretty sure they're rated for 1000 lbs
    • PPR200X: This rack has 3 inch hole spacing which is abnormally large compared to its competition
    • TSS: I've met the owner of this company (Wes) and he uses the same racks for the UTSA powerlifting team. A little spendy though, probably more than a regular person needs.
    Dang. That's some pertinent experience!

Quote Originally Posted by TheUserName View Post

The ceiling in question has a bunch of wooden support beams on top of some steel i-beams and they are spaced out. My measurement was at the bottom of these support beams. I can press by aiming the barbell around the support beams.

One possibility I was considering was looping heavy-duty chains over one of these i-beams, and setting the bottom of the loop to just below my parallel squat. Anyone tried a rig like that? The only disadvantage I can think of compared to a cage is that I'd have to start from the bottom of the squat.
    Having trouble visualizing the ceiling in question. Have you actually tried it? At your height even the bar itself has to be higher than 7' 4" prob, no to mention the additional clearance for the plates both up beyond that but also 9" front and back since the full diameter of the plate will have to fit above that height too.

I haven't used them, but the concept of safety chains/straps hanging down vs bars is out there. (e.g. http://www.liftinglarge.com/Spud-Monolift-Safety-Straps )

Squatting from the bottom would be a hassle and a half. So much so that i'd call it a no-go. However, you could combine the chains/straps with squat stands. A down-side is that adjusting them between squats and bench would possibly be annoying. The straps/chains hitting you during the movement might also be annoying, but haven't tried it. (doesn't -sound- too bad).
    Last edited by veryhrm; 08-26-2013 at 11:52 PM.

It's more than you want to spend, but the Rogue R-3 is a great rack.

starting strength coach development program
    I've been using the Rogue SML-1 70" Monster Lite Squat Stand for a couple months and really like it. I originally bought it for my girlfriend as we got tired of sharing the one power rack. After we got the Rogue Squat Stand I decided I would try it out first before she started using it. She hasn't used it once as I've pretty much taken it as mine.

Got the 70" due to low ceiling height in our basement. By the way, I'm 6'4". I've loaded 350 lbs on it and it is solid. I paid about $530 (stand + arms) if I recall correctly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast