starting strength gym

Thread: High Bar Squat Check

Default High Bar Squat Check

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I don't seem to be flexible enough for low-bar. This is my last set of 3x5 at 225.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZzp3OiBOiw

My own critiques/thoughts/questions.
    *For some reason my stance wasn't equal, my left foot was out ahead of my right foot so I had to adjust after my first rep - easy enough fix though.
    *Am I squatting a tad too low and losing tightness in my low back?
    *breaking at the hips first instead of simultaneously

My first form check, feedback would be great. Hopefully they're not a completely catastrophe. Thanks for looking.

Video is private.

My bad. Should be good now.

You are attempting to keep your torso too upright, even for a high bar squat, and allowing your low back to round. Get tighter, lean over a little more, and drive your knees out. Your shoes aren't helping things either. Weightlifting shoes are your friends. The low bar squat is waiting for you when you are ready.

If you're not, and it doesn't look like it, get a good held breath and use the valsalva before you squat down. This should help some with the back-rounding Tom mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by fitness View Post
    I don't seem to be flexible enough for low-bar. This is my last set of 3x5 at 225.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZzp3OiBOiw

My own critiques/thoughts/questions.
    *For some reason my stance wasn't equal, my left foot was out ahead of my right foot so I had to adjust after my first rep - easy enough fix though.
    *Am I squatting a tad too low and losing tightness in my low back?
    *breaking at the hips first instead of simultaneously

My first form check, feedback would be great. Hopefully they're not a completely catastrophe. Thanks for looking.
    Here is my last set of 3x5 at 230 today. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDJYtyYCBMg
    Sorry the video quality seems to be poor and shot from a little different angle. (I had someone hold the phone today)
    I tried to get a little more lean in my squat and stay tight but I don't think it was real successful.

Do you recommend I drop the weight and work some kinks out?
    The good news is I picked up a long pvc pipe today and haven't started doing shoulder dislocates so hopefully I can convert to low bar in the near future.

Thanks for looking.

I just wanted to add: I have poor hamstring flexibility - is this a major detriment in the squat?

The plates obscure you, but I think you are rounding your back and coming on to your toes. As Mr. PEB mentioned, pause between your reps, get a big held breath, and get tight. Rear oblique will help to answer some of these questions.

starting strength coach development program
    Also, hamstring flexibility is normally not a major component in a properly done squat. Your hamstrings don't appreciably change length during a low bar squat and they probably a little shorter get shorter during the descent in a high bar squat.