starting strength gym

Thread: More reasons to press..

Lightbulb More reasons to press..

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I was recently involved in a physical altercation that screwed up my left shoulder/bicep area pretty bad. I had severe pain running up and down my front deltoid and bicep that made it impossible for me to grip the bar correctly for LBBS. It felt like a bummed rotator cuff, but I never got it diagnosed, so I don't really know. After two bad squat workouts, I decided I'd skip the squat and press first for a few weeks (presses hurt a bit but were perfectly doable) to rehab my injury. Two 3x5 pressing workouts per week for three weeks took any/all pain away. Now here's the real kicker, I attempted to squat yesterday and did so with major success. I managed the best grip and hand position I've ever have even prior to the injury. Grip felt perfect and back tightness was better than ever. If any of you are having issues with assuming the correct rack position in the squat, skipping a few squat workouts to focus on strengthening your upper body with presses might help you as much as it helped me.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    skipping a few squat workouts
    Blasphemy.

Very interesting! I feel a bit of agitation in my left shoulder racking the squat. Not enough to risk angering the squat gods by dropping them for any time, but it is encouraging that presses are helping.

Quote Originally Posted by King of the Jews View Post
    I've started doing 5-10 empty bar presses as part of my squat warmup.
    Interesting--I might try that. On the first few squat sets, my shoulders are pretty tight (morning lifter), and this might help loosen them up a bit.

You could always use my approach:
    Stare at the empty bar for 5 minutes, pissed
    Squat for a set of 5
    Cry a little
    Do one more set of 5
    Get on with it.

Quote Originally Posted by ColoWayno View Post
    You could always use my approach:
    Stare at the empty bar for 5 minutes, pissed
    Squat for a set of 5
    Cry a little
    Do one more set of 5
    Get on with it.
    Sorry, but I am Cimmerian. I do not cry.

I was pretty flexible before but still couldn't rack the bar correctly. I now no longer believe tightness or flexibility was ever the problem. Just bad upper body posture and lack of strength/structure from not pressing enough weight and volume. If I was to ever coach someone in the future who could not assume a correct rack position from the get, I'd have them press and pull for a few weeks before introducing the squat and I'm almost certain this would solve the issue; but that's purely speculation and I could be completely wrong and just press-drunk from my N=1 expirament.

Quote Originally Posted by King of the Jews View Post
    I've started doing 5-10 empty bar presses as part of my squat warmup.
    I do four sets of five reps of both press and squat with just the bar before starting any workout as a warmup, just alternating the two back and forth, even on a bench day, before putting any weight on the bar. Makes for a pretty solid warmup. I also do my press work sets before squatting any weight, which I started doing a a few months ago when I had a shoulder problem (rehabbed by hi-rep pressing and chins), and it's served me well ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by hollismb View Post
    I do four sets of five reps of both press and squat with just the bar before starting any workout as a warmup, just alternating the two back and forth, even on a bench day, before putting any weight on the bar. Makes for a pretty solid warmup. I also do my press work sets before squatting any weight, which I started doing a a few months ago when I had a shoulder problem (rehabbed by hi-rep pressing and chins), and it's served me well ever since.
    Hmm, idk if I'd actually ever press before squatting. I feel much better pressing after squatting since the pump/fatigue in my lower body makes the movement "feel" much better. My numbers go up slightly as well, if I squat first, which is weird.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Hmm, idk if I'd actually ever press before squatting. I feel much better pressing after squatting since the pump/fatigue in my lower body makes the movement "feel" much better. My numbers go up slightly as well, if I squat first, which is weird.
    Yeah, it's probably not for everybody. When I had the shoulder issue, squats would bothered it a little bit, so that's why I did them first. I also figure the press relies a little more on technique, since the muscles being worked and the weight increments are smaller, which is part of why I do it first, while I'm still fresh and not tired from squatting.