starting strength gym

Thread: Goal of 600lb deadli

Default Goal of 600lb deadli

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey, I'm 14 years old, been getting into the whole idea of strength/powerlifting and I've been spending my days watching Mark Rippetoe videos on youtube, anyways.Point of the thread is, I want to get my deadlift to 600 pounds before I'm 18. Nothing magic about the age of 18 but that's just how strong I want to be when I am that old. I want to ask if that is a realistic/achievable goal? I'm 5'11 and 175pounds with a deadlift of 205 for a set of five. I thought I was a strong kid just because of my capabilities compared to my peers and play wrestling etc but I realised that I'm nothing special and just a weak untrained little kid which is why I set the goal for 600lbs on the deadlift. I want to get strong. Posted this in here because my other threads get moved her anyway so I guess someone already asked something like this.
    Last edited by BenBoskovski; 07-06-2017 at 11:05 PM.

I've never deadlifted more than 405. But you will have to get bigger by eating more. I weigh more than you and am shorter, and I'm on a cut at that.

You're really young so don't get too caught up with 600. Make smaller goals for the next year. Think about the goal numbers that you want to hit and appreciate the journey.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Carey View Post
    I've never deadlifted more than 405. But you will have to get bigger by eating more. I weigh more than you and am shorter, and I'm on a cut at that.

You're really young so don't get too caught up with 600. Make smaller goals for the next year. Think about the goal numbers that you want to hit and appreciate the journey.
    Yeah I wont be staying at this weight even though I know I'm not as lanky as other people, since I'm growing anyway. Hoping to eat and grow my way to 220-250 since I might also be growing in height aswell.

If I had a time machine I'd go back to my 14 year old self and smack him in the face and hand him a barbell! I didn't start lifting till my 30's. I'm pretty sure all I thought about when I was 14 was boobs...

Take your time. Learn the lifts, correctly. Many young lifters rush and end up having serious pride induced injuries that either cause them to quit or get a bad taste in their mouth. Slow an steady! You will get to 600 if you are smart about training.
    Last edited by mdemauro; 07-08-2017 at 12:47 AM.

Sure, it might be possible. A 400lb increase in 4 years is 100lbs/year, or roughly 2lbs/week. If you eat very well, you should be able to get to 405 pretty easily, as in within the next year. Going from 405 to 500 is pretty straightforward - it just takes some hard work, and reasonable programming. Going from 500-600 is much more difficult (from my experience), and you have to be much more focused and trim fluff from your programming.

If you are playing other sports, they may retard the progress for lifting somewhat - if you are exhausted from a tough wrestling practice / match, you may not be able to pull multiple sets of 500+lb deadlifts. Don't worry about that just yet, but it is what you'll have to do down the road to get 600. From my experience, you will also need to squat heavy once per week as well. Squats help the deadlift increase.

My advice is to focus on one thing at a time, with some small intermediary goals that you can accomplish in the near future (i.e., a few weeks / months). If your deadlift is currently at 205, your next big goal should be 315. A goal of 600 is nice for the long run, but you need to get 215 first. And then 225, 235, 245, etc.

And don't be too upset if you don't get 600 by 18. If you train hard, smartly, and consistently, it will come.
    Last edited by Chebass88; 07-12-2017 at 12:25 PM.

Chasing numbers is normal. Everyone does it. After a while though, I find that it's more useful to focus on process-oriented goals. Keep showing up and training, sleep well, eat well, etc. With decent programming, you'll keep progressing if you take care of these things.

Izzy put up a video recently on this:

starting strength coach development program
    Good advice to set some intermediate goals. Give yourself something that will motivate you day-to-day. A target too far away is easily delayed until it is no longer achievable.